doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/06/08 04:26 PM
...and the mince-meat pie is cooling on the kitchen window sill.

We have entered the brave new world of the the newly poor and displaced - who'll have their eye on that pie in times of strife.
Ol'grandpa's gun once used to keep the fox at bay, maybe used for something different this day.
My pick of the lot, something losted in time - a Remington 1894!
How about you?
Lowell, if we are in a dream world and had the money, an L.C. Smith A2 sculptured side plates, or a later one in 16 ga.

Sorry that one went over my head, should have known better.
I don't think of things like that.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/06/08 04:40 PM
I'll stick with the Model 21.
Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/06/08 04:42 PM
La da da da.......... La da da , " nebulous reference to some world / national event or latest sound bite"
La da da da...... da da da , "reference to initial subject with a rural metaphor or analogy with social commentary"
La da da da ...... da da da " reference to one of the guns I own".

How about a new formula............nothing personal, just kinda want some new material. :<(

best regards,
JBP
All that....and you want more JBP?
Maybe you should try your hand at more than 548 - we've all great guns I should think by now, but the troops want more than that!
Time worn photos only go so far!
Posted By: GregSY Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/06/08 04:55 PM
I would use a 12 gauge with full chokes and probably use 00 buckshot. It works on coyotes around here so I guess a wolf would be no different. They seldom come to the door, though they do sometimes get into the garbage cans.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/06/08 05:36 PM
"When the wolf is at the door" ?

Last week you were worried about Foxes...
Posted By: Chuck H Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/06/08 05:44 PM
Misfire was invented for Lowell.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/06/08 05:47 PM
I heard that....
Thin barreled doubles with full chokes will often end up bulged from large shot. People think steel is the only culprit, but, it isn't.

A wolf that hears the sound of the rack going into battery on the model 500 will have different things to think about besides your pie. A wolf with some common sense will look elsewhere. One can buy the full "I'm seriously paranoid" stock, handguard, barrel with rail lights and whatnot, just to make sure the wolf knows you are as serious as he is, still. Maybe Obama/Biden will stop that part. But, a better "wolf at the door" meet and greet tool has yet to be invented.

Ask that Korean grocer who spent time on the roof of his store during the Rodney King riots.

I'm going to remind the "plastic trigger guard" critics that it is a structural nylon trigger group, that thrives in dusty/dirty no lube conditions. And that Mossberg sells a metal trigger group under the law inforcement/military parts section of their catalog, for the unconvinced.

The wolf will be persuaded, in any event.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: rabbit Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/06/08 06:47 PM
I know your bent for the pastoral/metaphorical, LG, but allowing for that, I'll be damned if I'll shoot at a man over a pie! My Grandma told me a story about her grandmother. Great-great-grandmother Nancy had a visit from some of those aboriginals that Ted's on about over on the butter-soft NID thread. Seems they were interested in the pie on the windowsill. Outnumbered, husband and the older boys working, the remaining little ones underfoot and of no help, and scared to death, she gave them the pie. Imagine her relief when that's all they came for. Imagine her and her husband's surprise when they brought her deer meat later. Imagine that there may be some hungry people out there for whom a social contract remains binding on their actions. Hope and pray that there are. Stuff in all the buckshot loads that will fit but don't make someone else's necessity into a personal apocalypse if a little give-and-take will serve.

jack
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/06/08 07:34 PM
The one by the door is an Ithaca 37. First shot is rubber buck shot. The next 4 are the real deal.
Posted By: chopperlump Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/06/08 08:35 PM
I don't own one (having bought several over years for relatives) but I intend to. The older Model 500 Mossbergs with walnut and C-lect chokes are very excellent guns. They will last as long as any other pump gun, too. Where else can you get a great used gun for under $200 bucks? Maybe only the Stevens (Ranger, Western Field, etc.) Model 520 --- which is so damned ugly its almost handsome. Chopperlump
Posted By: Timothy S Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/06/08 08:55 PM
Originally Posted By: rabbit
I know your bent for the pastoral/metaphorical, LG, but allowing for that, I'll be damned if I'll shoot at a man over a pie! My Grandma told me a story about her grandmother. Great-great-grandmother Nancy had a visit from some of those aboriginals that Ted's on about over on the butter-soft NID thread. Seems they were interested in the pie on the windowsill. Outnumbered, husband and the older boys working, the remaining little ones underfoot and of no help, and scared to death, she gave them the pie. Imagine her relief when that's all they came for. Imagine her and her husband's surprise when they brought her deer meat later. Imagine that there may be some hungry people out there for whom a social contract remains binding on their actions. Hope and pray that there are. Stuff in all the buckshot loads that will fit but don't make someone else's necessity into a personal apocolyse if a little give-and-take will serve.

jack

An interesting concept jack, but, if these little stinkers had the ability to score some venison in the first place, I don't think they would be mess'en with your pie. Your idea does sound good in theory though.

tim
Posted By: Timothy S Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/06/08 08:59 PM
The Mossberg 500 pump with pistolgrip and heat shield, but I ain't going to shoot a pie snacher, but....

tim
Posted By: bbman3 Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/06/08 09:05 PM
They ain't eating my pecan pie!!!!!!! Bobby
I'll share a piece of pie or two, and even throw in a mug of steaming coffee - but I'll be damn sure it's not snatched from under my fork.
Remember, the wolf is coming to your neighborhood, like it or not!
Now for some cheer!
"I'll be firing some help after Christmas,
this you know is true!
I'll be firing the help after Christmas,
ain't that better than firing you."
Posted By: rabbit Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/07/08 12:37 AM
Don't hurry it along buddy. It'll come when it comes!

jack
The wolf will come and he will come just as you've finished your last can of pork 'n beans.
...and try as you might, the only thing that'll keep him from eating you - will be dear ol'grand dad's gun.
Keep it close at hand rabbit, next Friday might be someone from the neighborhood's last paycheck!
Posted By: rabbit Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/07/08 03:30 AM
BOOTOYOU2!

jack
Posted By: NJdblgun Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/07/08 03:46 AM
"I know your bent for the pastoral/metaphorical, LG, but allowing for that, I'll be damned if I'll shoot at a man over a pie! My Grandma told me a story about her grandmother. Great-great-grandmother Nancy had a visit from some of those aboriginals that Ted's on about over on the butter-soft NID thread. Seems they were interested in the pie on the windowsill...."

Well Said Mr. Rabbit! Let cooler heads prevail.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/07/08 06:21 AM
They'll get my wife's apple pie when they peel my dead hands from it! It's that good! All home made from the 3 kinds of apples to the hand rolled crust.
Posted By: Geno Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/07/08 07:21 AM
They will never come for your pie, they will come for your dog.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/07/08 10:42 AM
Geno it takes brains to own a dog.
Posted By: rabbit Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/07/08 01:25 PM
Wolves eat dogs?

jack
Rabbit, all but a few will not suffer the wolf - I think he was at my door last night making a practice run for the future lean times ahead!
Posted By: Joe Bernfeld Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/07/08 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: rabbit
Wolves eat dogs?

jack

They sure do (around here at least). Lowell, my problem is that most of the time I haven't a clue what the hell you are talking about! Sorry, just my ignorance, but nonetheless a problem.
Joe
Posted By: Oldmodel70 Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/07/08 05:00 PM
In the "brave new world" we'll most likely need to turn to alternative methods of protecting that pie...what with a real anti-gun president, and a really, really, anti-gun cabinet.
Don't think I'd even dispute with anybody over a mince pie! But, a good homemade apple's a different story..... Grant.
Posted By: James M Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/07/08 05:01 PM
When the wolf is at the door two barrels of sold silver double O buckshot will usually take care of the situation. As a last resort; A wooden stake and mallet might prove sufficient.
Jim
Posted By: rabbit Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/07/08 06:08 PM
I knew that, Joe, but wanted to see if Foxy's summer reading included the Martin Cruz Smith novel by that name.

jack
Posted By: rabbit Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/07/08 09:47 PM
To get down to brass tacks (and I hope it doesn't get down to dimes and flechettes), would a nice 1 oz. load of 4s at target velocity be convincing in that old homestead FPF application? Just asking because I think I've got exactly one round of double ought for 12 ga. and I thought light recoil might be a plus in the pieman reacquisition dept. I just loaded up about sixteen of the 4s in some nice fresh Nitro 27 goldie hulls. All the #4 I had and added a few 6s to the last one.) Guess I got to take the plug out of old I37 "Deerslayer" huh? Not that I'm expecting trouble but you can never be overgunned after listening to Mr. Doom&Gloom.

jack
Posted By: Anonymous Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/08/08 12:28 AM
Lots of pretty big talk here, but what happens if the "wolf" turns out to be "authority figures" that have come to confiscate your guns instead of someone looking for something to eat? Just wondering.
Posted By: limapapa Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/08/08 12:30 AM
When I awoke the dire wolf, six hundred pounds of sin, was sitting at my window, all I said was "Come right in."
Don't murder me, I beg of you, don't murder me...pleeease don't murder me.
Posted By: rabbit Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/08/08 12:49 AM
Guess that'd be the very last of the pie, Dewey.

jack
The wolf is all we fear and more!
We are circling the drain today lads...tomorrow????
Checkout Peter Schiff @ Europac.net for the real doomsayer.
Been batting about 1000 in the gloom trade.
There comes a time when you can no longer pull yourself up by the boot straps - and failure is the cure.
When the dollar dips, what we are going thru today, will seem like childplay.
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/08/08 05:06 AM
That's the spirit! Who needs optimism or hope when we have dear LG here to darken our day? Good grief, I've never seen such paranoia in my life. Here's a solution: ignore Lowell, buy American, and lend your neighbor a helping hand. He might even offer you a pie.
Buy American made what Mark?
A 100 year old Lefever from a sour-puss at a gunshow!
How about a flat screen tv, for the news your missing.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/08/08 11:01 AM
yOu should get out more Lowell...chase some Foxes.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/08/08 11:23 AM
Dewey has a good point. What WILL we do if "The Man" comes around, after the appropriate legislation is passed? I have thought about it and honestly dont know...Prolly get real surly...
Lowell, would you pulleeeeze keep this non-doublegun drivel on the Misfire Forum next time?
Stanly, bet you were a little tattle-tale in school!
...and I bet you read the topic and all the replies also.
You coulda popped right-off after reading the topic, and moved to something more double-gunish for your taste.
Do you and Jimma Carter share a bowl of nuts from time to time?
Posted By: Joe Bernfeld Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/08/08 02:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
Lowell, would you pulleeeeze keep this non-doublegun drivel on the Misfire Forum next time?

I agree with Stan; keep this paranoid B.S. on the MisFire Forum. Yes, I read most of the posts, not because they were informative or even interesting, but simply because I was holding some hope that they might be (and trying to figure out what you were talking about)!
Joe
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/08/08 08:04 PM
Forgive Lowell he's been having nightmares since the election.
Joe Bernfeld, its easy to be a critic when all you do is proof read other's work. Why don't you amaze me with a topic of your very own!
Posted By: Joe Bernfeld Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/09/08 12:49 AM
I did not say I proof read your posts; I don't care if your grammar and spelling are correct or not. It's the content I find odd/off topic. Don't be too thin skinned; I am only suggesting that the new MisFire Forum would be more appropriate to what you like to talk about (politics, deer hunting with a .22, etc.). I actually have posted several threads which relate directly to double shotguns. My most recent was pertaining to Winchester vs CSMC model 21s.
Joe
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT - When the wolf is at the door, - 12/09/08 05:28 AM
Now if we could get the Wine'chester 42 and family pictures posts down here.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com