doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 375whelenIMP Winchester 92 with side mount Zeiss - 06/05/19 07:01 AM
Picked this up a gun show a few months back. It's a pretty neat setup I had not seen one like this before.

Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Winchester 92 with side mount Zeiss - 06/05/19 11:37 AM
Maybe the angles are not real clear in the photos, but how does this eject an empty?
Posted By: keith Re: Winchester 92 with side mount Zeiss - 06/05/19 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: BrentD
Maybe the angles are not real clear in the photos, but how does this eject an empty?

After firing a cartridge, you operate that lever-thingy.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Winchester 92 with side mount Zeiss - 06/05/19 06:01 PM
Keith:

I think what Brent was asking was whether the scope is mounted over the bore axis, in which case it might interfere with ejection, or whether it's offset to the left, in which case there would be no interference. Similar problems exist with scoping the Winchester Model 94 prior to the angle-eject modification. My dad had one of the Model 94s without the modification and his side mount scope was positioned directly above the mount, not over the bore axis. Worked fine, but took some getting used to if you were accustomed to a traditional scope mount and cheeking the gun hard.

Rem
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Winchester 92 with side mount Zeiss - 06/05/19 08:17 PM
Could be on of those super rare 92s with bottom eject...
Posted By: LRF Re: Winchester 92 with side mount Zeiss - 06/05/19 08:35 PM
Its not a Model 54 or a Model 70 or a High Wall or a Low Wall, it's a level thingy moo-chine gun. Kind of a waste of a nice scope and mount.
Ok, after that, the mount I believe is offset to the left so not directly above the ejection port. Brass may even bounce off the scope as they come up and out.
IMO
Posted By: 375whelenIMP Re: Winchester 92 with side mount Zeiss - 06/05/19 09:03 PM
It sits off to the side a good bit. I have had no problems with ejection.
Posted By: keith Re: Winchester 92 with side mount Zeiss - 06/05/19 09:19 PM
Originally Posted By: 375whelenIMP

Exactly. That's pretty typical for scope mounts used on top eject lever guns. I certainly remember what prompted the modification of the Model 94 to angle eject. My prior reply was a facetious response to a silly question.

Nice little .25-20 by the way. I think it would be even nicer without the scope and side mount, but that's just my opinion.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Winchester 92 with side mount Zeiss - 06/06/19 12:54 AM
Originally Posted By: 375whelenIMP

I figured it had to be, but the photos do a good job of making it easy to believe the scope is directly over the ejection port.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Winchester 92 with side mount Zeiss - 06/06/19 03:47 AM
I put a Williams version of that on a friends post-64 M94, surprisingly accurate, bit less than a 2" gun. He couldn't get used to it though so he went back to iron sights and the mount sits on a shelf.
Posted By: xausa Re: Winchester 92 with side mount Zeiss - 06/06/19 10:21 AM
A nice set-up for someone like me, who shoots right handed, but because of a vision problem with his right eye is forced to aim with his left eye. The other choice is to shoot off the left shoulder, which can be pretty awkward for an octogenarian to get accustomed to.

Posted By: Vall Re: Winchester 92 with side mount Zeiss - 06/06/19 01:59 PM
Unusual configuration with a half magazine carbine. Then add the shotgun buttplate too, and it gets even more interesting! Pretty nifty overall '92!
Posted By: Kutter Re: Winchester 92 with side mount Zeiss - 06/06/19 03:21 PM
Looks like it had a saddle ring. The staple type mount base pulled and the two holes tapped and plug screws put in place.
Posted By: LRF Re: Winchester 92 with side mount Zeiss - 06/06/19 06:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Kutter
Looks like it had a saddle ring. The staple type mount base pulled and the two holes tapped and plug screws put in place.

Yep
and my interest wanes more with each new discovery....
Posted By: Kutter Re: Winchester 92 with side mount Zeiss - 06/06/19 10:35 PM
I still like it. I'd have certainly stopped to check it out and perhaps buy it had I walked up on it at a show. Stuff like this draws my attention, don't know why.
Posted By: 375whelenIMP Re: Winchester 92 with side mount Zeiss - 06/06/19 11:44 PM
The big knurled knob can be adjusted for elevation and mount also has some windage adjustment. Would love to see this style mount on other types of rifles it anyone has an example.

I bought it because the mount and scope are unique and interesting. I don't mind it was not a Winchester factory option.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Winchester 92 with side mount Zeiss - 06/07/19 12:35 AM
I like unique rifles, and this certainly qualifies. Looks like a quality set up for a guy that had a particular need. I wonder what he did with it? Any chance there is a hole under the butt plate and something in it? I'd check it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com