doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: irs Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/16/19 01:43 AM
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/808532946

I see similarities with Fisher, Goens and Shelhammer. Pretty rifle for sure.
Posted By: Flygas Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/16/19 08:03 AM
Originally Posted By: irs
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/808532946

I see similarities with Fisher, Goens and Shelhammer. Pretty rifle for sure.

I don’t see the Fisher or Shelhamer. Don’t know enough about Goens work.
Posted By: LRF Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/16/19 11:55 AM
Look close at the checkering, the diamonds are not lined up or formed as well as you might expect from some of the stockmakers mentioned. Don't get me wrong it is a nice rifle and for the most part well done, I am just questioning the checkering.
Posted By: LRF Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/16/19 11:59 AM
Sideline question if I may, does anyone know who made the sling swivel studs for this rifle?
They are wider and sized for the Winchester Super Grade sling swivels. They are wider then the normal studs common today. I have a custom M70 rifle with the same studs on it and Winchester swivels.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/16/19 04:53 PM
I think the carving might indicate Fajen work. Also, the wood is black walnut which could second the opinion.The price seems very optimistic.
Posted By: irs Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/17/19 06:28 AM
My guess is it is an early Dale Goens stocked rifle. Might have been one of the Bishop semi-inletted stocks that he finished.
From Monte Kennedy's book.........

Posted By: eightbore Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/17/19 01:39 PM
Stoeger catalogued those studs without indicating a manufacturer. I saw a box with those studs in a gun shop display, but neglected to commit the maker to memory. The box and studs were not offered for sale. I have seen them on old custom rifles, but don't know their era of manufacture.
Posted By: David Zincavage Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/17/19 08:31 PM
My understanding is that Bill Sukalle was primarily a great barrel-maker. Guns with his name on them were, from what I've read, always stocked by somebody else.

In some cases, the stock was provided by a great name, like Adolph Minar or by the A.O. Neidner Company, but more commonly, by no-name gunsmiths doing white spacers and hyper-1950s Weatherby-esque big cheek pieces.

The wood here is excellent. The styling is a bit elaborate for my taste,but well-executed. The cheek piece has the sculptural look of Neidner's ship to my eye. Stylistically, I think the whole thing is later, rather than earlier, which my guess is would rule out Howe. Did Al Beisen ever work on Sukalle barreled actions?
Posted By: irs Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/18/19 01:28 AM
Pretty sure it's a Dale Goens stock.
Posted By: irs Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/18/19 01:31 AM
Originally Posted By: David Zincavage
Did Al Beisen ever work on Sukalle barreled actions?

I believe Jack O'Connor had a Biesen stocked Sukalle barreled rifle.
Posted By: LRF Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/18/19 03:49 AM
eightbore, Thanks
Posted By: redoak Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/19/19 06:02 AM
I am with rocky mtn bill. I have an old Fajen catalog that has photos of an almost identical stock, right down to that exact carving/checkering pattern.
Posted By: irs Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/19/19 02:03 PM
Originally Posted By: redoak
I am with rocky mtn bill. I have an old Fajen catalog that has photos of an almost identical stock, right down to that exact carving/checkering pattern.

Yep, it sure enough is!
Posted By: LRF Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/19/19 04:31 PM
Some body paid a lot of money for the name on a barrel. Personally, Jack Daniel's name on a full wooden barrel of his fine sipping whiskey would have been a better investment. IMO
Posted By: David Zincavage Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/20/19 02:59 AM
I think irs is right about it being a Goens stock. Dale W. Goens and Bill Sukalle are both famous names in the custom gun world. If you look on Guns International or at auction records, you'll see that the price this one went for was modest for what it seems to have been.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/20/19 01:09 PM
Apparently, it isn't "what it seems to have been", not that Fajen built bad stocks.
Posted By: LRF Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/20/19 01:37 PM
One has to wonder what the meaning of "what" is in the comments?

I would like to see pictures from the crowd claiming this is a Dale Goens stock, that show a visual similarity? I can't find anything on google that would lead to such a conclusion.

In fact I haven't found a reference where Goens and Sukalle worked together, so if you have a link to something please share.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/20/19 05:31 PM
Originally Posted By: LRF

I would like to see pictures from the crowd claiming this is a Dale Goens stock, that show a visual similarity? I can't find anything on google that would lead to such a conclusion.

In fact I haven't found a reference where Goens and Sukalle worked together, so if you have a link to something please share.

Alternatively, I would be grateful to see some pictures from the Fajen catalog that show the stock like the one on gunbroker.
Posted By: irs Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/21/19 03:00 AM
Originally Posted By: LRF

Take a look at my second post in this thread, I posted a visual similarity.
Posted By: irs Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/21/19 03:04 AM
Fajen Catalog

7th picture
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 05/21/19 11:59 AM
Originally Posted By: irs
Fajen Catalog

7th picture

Thanks
Posted By: Windriver Re: Who stocked this Sukalle? - 06/13/19 02:59 AM
The Sukalle rifle in question has been relisted on Gunbroker as item 817598343. I have added pictures of the stock with the action removed along with some other information. Maybe the "experts" can identify the stock now.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com