doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Flatfish Need Gunsmith In Oregon - 05/01/19 05:33 PM
I have been gifted a Perkins double shotgun. A family heirloom. Came here when family moved here in 1800s.

Was hoping to have a smith look at it. Needs some TLC (Beyond my skills). One hammer needs attention. Rt trigger does as well.

I want a smith who understands such things, and is willing to give me an accurate honest take on if it is safe to fire, and if so, someone who can repair the locks/hammer.

Took it to the local smith/dealer who sells plastic stainless bolt rifles and ARs, he blew me off after a quick glance. Told me to make a wall hanger out of it. I get that this was out of his regular parameters, so I ask here.

The plan is not volume shooting. But the person who gave it to me would like to hear it went for a day after pheasants or quail. He'd appreciate that.

If it ultimately ends up as a mantle piece, I'm fine with that too. So long as the smith looking at it is competent in antique arms (And actually looks at it for more than 3 seconds before leaping to a conclusion).

Thanks

Mark
Posted By: 375whelenIMP Re: Need Gunsmith In Oregon - 05/01/19 06:07 PM
Could you post some pictures of it? A lot of the guys here could give you a lot of information on if it's worth the effort.
Posted By: xausa Re: Need Gunsmith In Oregon - 05/02/19 01:02 PM
You might try Steve Nelson in Corvallis (nelsons-custom@comcast.net)
Nelson's Custom Guns, 7430 NW Valley View Drive, Corvallis 37330
(541) 745-5232
Posted By: Vall Re: Need Gunsmith In Oregon - 05/02/19 01:39 PM
Try The Gun Works, Joe Williams in Springfield, Or. Deals mainly in old guns, and should be able to look it over and tell you if they can repair it.
Otherwise I'd take it to Puyallup, Wa. to John Taylor Machine. Not much John can't fix, and has saved some guns for me that nobody else would fix.
Posted By: Dennis Potter Re: Need Gunsmith In Oregon - 05/18/19 11:19 PM
I would second Steve Nelson in Corvallis
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Need Gunsmith In Oregon - 05/28/19 10:50 PM
#3 for Steve Nelson. We just looked at a Steven Grant hammer gun together yesterday in order to discover why there was intermittent hammer striking of the pin. Hammer is out of alignment and hits the wood first instead of the firing pin directly.

I have a Dougall Lock-Fast he helped me with also. Had to alter the configuration of the face angle on the stock.( It came with the action and wood out of alignment. The top strap was bent so the tang/face/wood were out of alignment).
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com