doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PhysDoc New rifle for Dan - 03/09/19 02:46 PM
Dan recently acquired this and asked me to post pictures.

Posted By: SKB Re: New rifle for Dan - 03/09/19 02:49 PM
Interesting trigger modification, likely gives a nice smooth single stage trigger pull. I'm not sure what to think of the beavertail fore arm.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: New rifle for Dan - 03/09/19 02:51 PM
The forearm looks a little - maybe a lot - pregnant.

But I really love that wrist/grip. It is a cool rifle, and I wonder if it was a more or less dedicated target rifle.
Posted By: Vall Re: New rifle for Dan - 03/09/19 03:41 PM
The slightly bulged forearm does look a little odd, but I bet it feels great when held! Not sure about it being a dedicated target rifle, as they usually had more squarish forearms to help situate the gun consistently. And that checkering seems gorgeous, and a bit over the top for a dedicated target rifle.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: New rifle for Dan - 03/09/19 03:56 PM
I was thinking that fat forearm might go with the robust sling loop to make it an offhand target rifle. But just a wild guess.

No such thing as "over the top" for a target rifle. Hunting rifle maybe, but not a target rifle that gets 100x more use. I put my custom money on target rifles for just that reason. A walk down the firing line at Raton during a Nationals match will show many others that seem to think the same way.

Anyway, it is a unique rifle. It must have an interesting past.
Posted By: craigd Re: New rifle for Dan - 03/09/19 05:12 PM
The design of the stock aside, it doesn't look like it was executed particularly carefully. I like to see glare on some of these pictures, and it does not appear that crisp or even contours were maintained. The checkering seems to be an attempt at some lipstick on the stock. I'm not picking on it, just having a thought or two about it. I enjoyed looking over it, and I hope the owner can offer some insight.
Posted By: eightbore Re: New rifle for Dan - 03/09/19 05:13 PM
Is it still a 30-06 or is it a groundhog rifle?
Posted By: Flygas Re: New rifle for Dan - 03/09/19 05:20 PM
I’m guessing it’s a varmint caliber? Notice how much taper there is to the barrel.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: New rifle for Dan - 03/09/19 09:48 PM
Oh, between Dan sending me the pictures and me posting them, I forgot something. This is a Pope-barreled rifle and Dan wanted the pictures posted as a continuation of the thread below

Pope barreled 1903's
Posted By: Gary D. Re: New rifle for Dan - 03/09/19 09:54 PM
Well, now that I look at it through "Pope Goggles"....
Posted By: DanLH Re: New rifle for Dan - 03/10/19 04:46 AM
I'm not sure what you mean about the trigger treatment, it is a standard military trigger although it has a very nice release. It has a 32" Pope barrel in 30-06 cal. This barrel is #608 dated 12/27/22 while my Griffin/Pope rifle in the other thread is #603 dated 12/20/22, he must have been busy that Christmas week. Especially since my Ross King/Pope is #594 dated 10/5/21. Only 9 barrels in 14 months vs 5 barrels in a week? Does anyone know details of Pope's barrel numbers?
Oh by the way, the gun was built by August Pachmayr and the inletting is supreme, like the wood grew around the metal. The swivels are both plated. It is a low numbered receiver in the NRA sales series but the bolt is an early 1920s NM bolt. It might need a new pad!
Posted By: SKB Re: New rifle for Dan - 03/10/19 12:08 PM
The other day a picture of the internals was posted and showed a roller modification to the standard trigger. I do not see that picture now. A mystery to me.

I sure do like the S. Griffin rifle posted in the link, that one is a looker.
Posted By: Vall Re: New rifle for Dan - 03/10/19 02:55 PM
Dan, your 1922 date would make it a Jersey City Pope barrel. Not sure what else anyone could add without Pope records that don't exist. I understand that Warren Greatbatch is working on his second set of books that will cover the Jersey City Pope barreled guns, but not sure when they'll be out? His first 2 volume set covers the Hartford, Ct. Pope barreled rifles, and is an excellent treatise for anyone who owns a Hartford Pope, or has an interest in Pope barreled guns.
His Jersey City barreled guns were often more modern actions like yours, and some pistols too. His Hartford barreled guns were almost exclusively 1800's single shot actions.
Posted By: DanLH Re: New rifle for Dan - 03/10/19 08:57 PM
SKB, I have another rifle by Gus with a roller on the trigger but it's not this rifle. I'll do some photos of that gun soon.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: New rifle for Dan - 03/17/19 03:12 PM
Here are the pictures of the other rifle,

this is the rifle with the interestind trigger

and interesting scope mount

[img]https://i.imgur.com/8nUGFrQ.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/OIJORp0.jpg[/img]
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com