doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PhysDoc single barreled sporting rifle on gunbroker - 02/03/19 04:05 PM
I watched this rifle for a good long time on gunbroker,
it finally sold.

Field Rifle Company

Single shot rifles are for the most part above my pay grade, so I don't follow them, but I was curious about this one because of the Winchester barrel.

I'd like to learn more.
Hi Fred,

Thanks for sharing this auction. A interesting rifle! I’m also not well informed on single shots. Interesting looking rear sight base, looks a bit like something Parker & Hale would have made? Nice stock grain, I like the color too.

I would like to hear what the single shot aficionados Har to say!

-Tom
I watched it too. It is a very nice rifle for sure. What it is exactly, I can't say but it sure looks like a Field with a Winchester barrel. I can't believe that Winchester made the action and i see no reference to it in Campbell's book where I might expect him to have made some mention of it Winchester had made them. Field actions are elegantly simple as I remember the one I handled.
I had one once upon a time, it was marked "Greener/Field's Patent"
Posted By: Vall Re: single barreled sporting rifle on gunbroker - 02/04/19 04:48 PM
Both front and rear sights are extremely rare and unusual. The rear is missing it's staff and appears to be a very early first generation Lyman #15. Very neat sight. The front is a windage adjustable similar to the Lyman #7, or #5, but very unusual with just a post.
Surprised to see that gun finally sell. It's sure been offered up for a very long time.
I agree with BrentD that it is a Field's 1877 patent action with a Winchester barrel.
Rebarreling English falling blocks to American cartridges was pretty common practice once although this one looks to have kept its original forend which is nice.
I bet the heavy 30/40 barrel profile was made to closely match the rifle's original barrel profile or just happened to be close.
I would think that the original chambering would have been a 450 or 500 of one sort or another.
The Field action is exceptionally simple but of high quality and many of the high tier gunmakers of the day built rifles on this action.
Had I seen it, I would have considered buying it and rebarreling it to a more original chambering.
I have one in 500 No.2 and would not mind another at all but buying this one and then the rebarrel and proper sights would probably put the project at too high a cost. Does have nice wood though...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com