doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jim Westberg Highwall engraving - 01/16/19 01:13 AM
Highwall project coming to completion, below are two pictures of engraving by Roger Sampsom.
Jim Westberg

Posted By: Thaine Re: Highwall engraving - 01/16/19 01:28 AM
Just absolutely stunning.
Thaine
Posted By: Dennis Daigger Re: Highwall engraving - 01/16/19 05:13 AM
Thaine nails it. Absolutely stunning.
Dennis
Posted By: Joe Dobrzynski Re: Highwall engraving - 01/16/19 01:18 PM
Wow! ... amazing ...
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Highwall engraving - 01/16/19 01:26 PM
That is really wonderful! Now I know there must be equally wonderful wood to go with it. More pictures?

Will it be case colored, french greyed? What caliber?

Highwalls are the greatest rifle ever made, and this will be one of the best of the best. Quite a rifle indeed.
Posted By: bonny Re: Highwall engraving - 01/16/19 01:33 PM
Beautiful work. Good to see falling blocks, and engraving like that in this day and age of black plastic.
Posted By: LRF Re: Highwall engraving - 01/16/19 02:07 PM
Very nice as is the usual from Roger, Can't wait to see the completed rifle.
Posted By: Vall Re: Highwall engraving - 01/16/19 06:02 PM
Wow! That just wets my appetite for seeing the completed rifle! Any early American single shot rifle has my interest. But one this spectacular REALLY has my interest!
Posted By: Jim Westberg Re: Highwall engraving - 01/16/19 09:28 PM
Brent,
Wood is a nice piece from Johnson Wood Products in Strawberry Point Ia. They have some fine Am. Walnut at very fair prices. Easy to deal with....called and told them what I needed, they sent 3 blanks and I sent 2 back along with a check for the one that stayed here. Action and etc. will be color hardened then toned back/down in some areas, otherwise the engraving seems to get hidden to some degree. Caliber is 38-55.
Jim
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Highwall engraving - 01/16/19 09:32 PM
I did the same with the case colors on my engraved highwall using the simichrome polishing past you recommended. Worked great.

I know of the Strawberry Point people. They have been around a long time.
Posted By: LRF Re: Highwall engraving - 01/17/19 05:20 PM
Johnson Wood Products is a great place. I have known them a long time, starting with old ID Johnson back in 1975 or so when I and Mark Lee first flew down there with Don Allen, when Don lived in Northfield, Mn. That was when they also had some very decent California English. I still have one full blank. Always great wood, great pricing, and best customer service bar none.
Great looking high wall Jim and I like the idea that you are stocking in American Walnut, very traditional smile
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com