doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PhysDoc custom Model 70 on auction arms - 12/09/18 07:04 PM
I stumbled across this old auction on auctionarms

custom model 70

And wondered if others had seen it and if they had any thoughts on
who did the stock work.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: custom Model 70 on auction arms - 12/09/18 07:08 PM
I cannot even guess who did the work, but whoever did the purchasing got a steal if you ask me.
Posted By: RHD45 Re: custom Model 70 on auction arms - 12/10/18 03:01 PM

August Pachmyer stock work judging by some pics of his early work in some magazines I have.
Posted By: james-l Re: custom Model 70 on auction arms - 12/10/18 06:13 PM
Engraving on the floor plate is unusual looking, almost like it is dots forming the scrollwork?
Posted By: RHD45 Re: custom Model 70 on auction arms - 12/10/18 08:05 PM
Pachmayr grip cap also.
Posted By: Kutter Re: custom Model 70 on auction arms - 12/10/18 08:49 PM
The scrolls are cut,,but extremely small and not really complete scrolls. They could have continued closing up another part of a turn or so to make them more enhanced.

Kind of an English style scroll pattern but w/o the thought usually given to the layout beforehand.

The borders and even the outline cuts of the animal figures and background terrain features were then gone over with a wriggle cut.
I'd guess a small round nose graver to reach down into the already done cut used as a guide. Not real common but not unkn.
Most are familiar with wriggle cuts done with a flat graver right on the surface to create the line, figure or scroll.

The initial plate on the grip cap looks probably 14k gold.
Depending on how thick the plate itself is & the 'k' gold, that can be an expensive piece of metal in itself.
Nice lettering done on the cap,,probably different engraver from the TG and FloorPlate.

The listing says an orig W bbl but not the orig to the action.
Hey, it's a custom gun afterall.

No rear sight attachment point on the bbl.
An extra D&T hole on the left rear side of the recv'r where the aperture sight normally sits.
A wood repair at the front top edge at the ring.

Checkering pattern looks familiar from a custom 03 maker maybe(?),,

Neat rifle,,had some use but that's what they're made for.
Posted By: RHD45 Re: custom Model 70 on auction arms - 12/11/18 02:52 AM
Look at the 1969, believe, "Guns and Ammo" annual for pictures of custom rifles by Pachmayr and you will see an '03 and a couple of very early Model 70 Winchesters with this same checkering/carving pattern. I don't have my copy handy but do remember it was one of the first annuals that they printed.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com