doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: liverwort Savage 99 EG untapped? - 11/30/18 03:18 AM
Is this model in much better than average condition and un-drilled and tapped really worth more than one of the same condition that has been drilled and tapped? It seems there would be more people interested in one to hunt with (scoped) than add to a collection? I am thinking about selling mine but I'm thinking that its lack of holes hurts the value? Course I'd prefer to sell it to someone who put a high value on it. Your knowledgeable opinion?
Posted By: Kutter Re: Savage 99 EG untapped? - 11/30/18 03:43 AM
An undrilled/tapped rifle as mfg'd would be worth more to me if the rest of the rifle was unaltered than one that had been aftermarket D&T'd.
But it all depends on the buyer. They may have no interest what so ever in collectable value and only want a 99 they can mount a 'scope on,,,every rifle needs a scope after all.

So that person would most likely pass on your nice original unmolested 99 and jump at one that someone drilled and mounted a Weaver base on it and is complete w/a Tasco 3x9.

All depends on what the buyer is looking for, what they are willing to pay for and how much knowledge, interest, or if they even care about the collector side of the subject.'If they don't care at all, they won;t be willing to pay extra for the earlier production rifle.
That's not your buyer/market.
Posted By: liverwort Re: Savage 99 EG untapped? - 11/30/18 04:36 AM
Thank you, Kutter. My question was inspired by my thoughts of selling and seeing the prices asked for run-of-the-mill 99s with scopes. I am seeing $600 to $800 and that is the range I was thinking and mine is supposed to be of greater value as original? I know asking is not getting but if they're getting those prices mines got to be worth a grand!;) Thank you again for your thoughts.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Savage 99 EG untapped? - 11/30/18 02:36 PM
liverwort:

FWIW, Savage 99s in .300 Savage linger for years on local dealers' shelves in Southeastern PA with a $500 price tag, regardless of originality or lack thereof. The .250-3000s seem to bring $200-300 more and the early ones in .303, .30-30 or .22 Savage Hi-Power might bring $100-200 more from a collector, but only in truly collectible condition, and there just aren't that many Model 99 collectors out there. Otherwise, the obsolete calibers seem to linger even longer than the .300s for which factory ammo remains available.

This coming from a guy who owns two from the 1950s, both chambered for .300 Savage and factory drilled and tapped, and uses the Model 99F as his primary deer rifle. The 99R is my backup, as it's heavier and I'm getting old enough to appreciate the approximately 1-1/4 pound difference between the two.
Posted By: liverwort Re: Savage 99 EG untapped? - 11/30/18 05:04 PM
Remington40x, Thanks for the reply. I see what you are saying. If you have ever visited the Rennug.com classifieds you'll see several listed now, some in nice condition, all with scopes. The asking prices are around what I'd like for mine if I decide to sell and I'm trying to get there. I'm not sure mine is "collector grade" but it is a little used older rifle with light blue wear and a couple pressure marks. I guess I'll ask what they are and see what happens? Thank you again.
Posted By: Vall Re: Savage 99 EG untapped? - 11/30/18 05:21 PM
From what I've seen on older collectable guns, those extra holes cost the seller about $50-$75 each. So if it was D&T with 4 holes for a scope, the value is reduced about $200-$300 over an original.
Most collectors aren't buying collectable guns to hunt with, although some do. They're buying them to collect, and prefer originaality over everything else.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Savage 99 EG untapped? - 11/30/18 06:51 PM
liverwort:

Good luck with your sale.

You might also take a look at the sold (not for sale) listings on Gunbroker.com or one of the other auction web sites to get an idea of what they bring, as opposed to what is asked for them.

Rem
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com