doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bsteele Wundhammer Krag - 11/30/18 01:32 AM
This was our first clue as to who stocked the rifle. We were looking it over and noticed the long return on the buttplate. The only other buttplate I’ve seen like this was on Michaels Wundhammer orphan stock that he made the metal fit the wood

https://i.imgur.com/9PcDD1E.jpg

Sorry it’s just a link. I can’t seem to manage to post an image from my iPhone nor iPad.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Wundhammer Krag - 11/30/18 01:35 AM

It would be great to see the whole rifle.
Posted By: bsteele Re: Wundhammer Krag - 11/30/18 01:38 AM
https://i.imgur.com/VtMGTH6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PrIjVqI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GtB3FiU.jpg

If you want to see something specific let me know. I’ll try again later to get these images to post.
Posted By: bsteele Re: Wundhammer Krag - 11/30/18 01:40 AM
Thanks Brent
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Wundhammer Krag - 11/30/18 01:41 AM

Really nice!
Posted By: Chuckster Re: Wundhammer Krag - 11/30/18 03:18 AM
There are all kinds of rifles, but that one just sings, "Let's go to the mountains."
Beautiful.
Chuck
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: Wundhammer Krag - 11/30/18 04:22 AM
What purpose for the scallop at the front of the magazine.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Wundhammer Krag - 11/30/18 10:24 AM
Beautiful rifle, thanks for posting pictures of it.

Say do any of you remember a stock that was on ebay earlier this year, it was discussed in this thread

stock on ebay

If I recall correctly, it was inletted for a very similar if not identical butt plate. I thought I made a copy of the pictures, but can't seem to find them on my computer.
Posted By: bsteele Re: Wundhammer Krag - 11/30/18 11:05 AM
I do remember that stock. Buttplate is very similar. Go to the eBay listing on the old post. click on what look like polaroids where the pictures used to be and they will pop up in another window. I had to do screenshots. It won’t let you “save” the pictures.

Very interesting stock. Glad you brought it up again!
Posted By: Vall Re: Wundhammer Krag - 11/30/18 05:24 PM
The vast majority of Krag rifles converted to sporting rifles are very poorly done. But every once in awhile one like this shows up and is magnificent!
That's a Krag Sporter that anyone would be tickled to own!
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Wundhammer Krag - 11/30/18 05:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Vall
The vast majority of Krag rifles converted to sporting rifles are very poorly done. But every once in awhile one like this shows up and is magnificent!
That's a Krag Sporter that anyone would be tickled to own!

So true.

I was about to post photos of one that I have that isn't too bad, just to spark some conversation and maybe learn what outfit might have done it. But this puts it to shame.

bsteele, do you shoot it?

I would like to see a close up picture or two of the front sight, if you have one. Is the barrel original?
Posted By: Greg G Re: Wundhammer Krag - 12/01/18 12:20 AM
I'd like to see the photos, please post them. Good Krag sporter photos are few and far between.
I just re-worked a poorly converted military stock on a Krag about a year ago. It was so bad I was just going to make a new stock, but the original wood had some nice grain, so I decided to try and save it.
Posted By: bsteele Re: Wundhammer Krag - 12/01/18 09:22 PM
Yes I shoot it. The first time I pulled the trigger it was 2” high and a little left at 40yds, offhand.

https://i.imgur.com/exCeJTDh.jpg

It is an armory carbine barrel and pretty sure the front sight is original carbine as well.

There’s one day left of the firearms deer season here in IN. I’m gonna give it a go tomorrow.
Posted By: bsteele Re: Wundhammer Krag - 12/01/18 09:45 PM
I wondered about the scallop at the front of the magazine myself. It doesn’t appear to be necessary, but is as nicely executed as any other feature on the stock.
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Wundhammer Krag - 12/03/18 03:48 AM
Wunderful!
Posted By: Tom Davis Re: Wundhammer Krag - 12/03/18 10:53 PM
Congrats on a very fine rifle! Thank you for sharing!
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Wundhammer Krag - 12/03/18 11:40 PM
The scallop-shaped cut is to allow the magazine cover to be removed. The rod it pivots on has to be turned outward and then withdrawn. It has a small flange on it that the cut allows to clear.
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: Wundhammer Krag - 12/04/18 01:02 AM
Thank you for the explaination.
Posted By: bsteele Re: Wundhammer Krag - 12/04/18 01:16 AM
Thanks Bill! The more I handle this carbine the more I like it.

The barrel has 2 screws on top, I assume for a rear barrel sight? Pardon my ignorance of Krag carbines.
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Wundhammer Krag - 12/11/18 06:38 PM
Late to the party- two weeks hunting in an electronics free environment.

Thanks for posting the pics of the Krag! You are fortunate to be its custodian.

Yes, the two screws on the barrel were for mounting the original rear sight.

I wonder if the cocking knob sight was installed by Wundhammer or if it was added later. I know not offhand when Lyman introduced that sight.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com