doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: TN Longhunter Winchester 54 - 10/04/18 12:17 AM
I picked up this rifle sometime back and due to work it has slipped through the cracks. Enough work has been done so it is not a standard Winchester model. A Winchester 54 with Griffin and Howe scope mount, Hensoldt-Weizlar Ziel-Dialyt 2 3/4X scope, Lyman receiver sight and two-leaf folding barrel sight. Front sight is a pinned post. Serial number places it as 1929 and with an A suffix indicating it has the improved extractor. Barrel is nickel steel. Fore end cap is ebony. Stock is very dark walnut with a trapdoor butt plate with storage for cleaning rods. No markings other then the standard Winchester barrel markings. The emaciated deer carving on the right butt is a more recent work and I wish it wasn't there.

Any ideas who, when or where this work was done? Any help would be appreciated.
[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/141602111@N08/45037334332/in/dateposted-public/[/img] [img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/141602111@N08/44365320804/in/dateposted-public/[/img]
Posted By: SKB Re: Winchester 54 - 10/04/18 01:37 PM
I could not get your link to work. Sounds interesting though, I have always like 54's.
Posted By: LRF Re: Winchester 54 - 10/04/18 02:55 PM
SKB, if you copy and paste the address into google it will go to the pics. Nice gun until to lokk at the right side of the buttstock. I don't like carving which looks like it was added later.
Posted By: LRF Re: Winchester 54 - 10/04/18 02:58 PM
Originally Posted By: TN Longhunter
The emaciated deer carving on the right butt is a more recent work and I wish it wasn't there.

I second this quote.
Posted By: SKB Re: Winchester 54 - 10/04/18 03:53 PM
Bummer on the deer carving....cool gun though. The metal has a ton going for it. I might be tempted to mill off that right side of the stock and glue new wood in place. you can hide the seems in the finish making a very hard to see repair. I am currently repairing what was a leather covered cheek piece in a similar manner.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Winchester 54 - 10/04/18 04:30 PM
I wish I could say that I've seen a well carved stock like this, but I haven't. Or maybe I should say, I haven't seen one that I personally liked at all, though maybe they were all "well executed". I do like folk art on firearms, but it is so rare to find something interesting and this not one of them.

On the other side of the stock what's the deal with the squared off side panel back by the bolt shroud and safety. That looks equally out of place, as if they stocker just didn't know what to do there. Yet on the other side, he had no problem blending it underneath the bolt handle. Maybe I'm just looking at it wrong but it looks really odd to me.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Winchester 54 - 10/04/18 04:46 PM

For TN Longhunter

Posted By: Vall Re: Winchester 54 - 10/04/18 05:21 PM
Looks like the carving work is very freshly done, and recent? Wonder why someone chose to do it after all these years of the gun being the way it was?
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Winchester 54 - 10/04/18 05:24 PM
Vall, I think it safe to say, one person's dream is another person's nightmare.
Posted By: TN Longhunter Re: Winchester 54 - 10/04/18 07:23 PM
Skeettx,

Thanks for fixing the photo. Not sure why they won't show.

Vall, the carving is relatively recent compared to the stocking but still has some age to it when you can handle the wood. Thought about looking for a new stock as a stock maker friend died last year that we were thinking about how to restock.
Posted By: xausa Re: Winchester 54 - 10/04/18 07:54 PM
It looks to me like a Griffin & Howe job all the way around. The stock design, the trap butt plate, the fore end tip all shout G&H to me. This is a G&H Springfield of roughly the same vintage which passed through my hands a while back,

Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Winchester 54 - 10/04/18 08:25 PM
That is a G&H stock. Too bad about the carving. I'd be inclined to follow SKB's advice and cover it with a layer of new wood. Look carefully; the forearm tip should be horn.
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Winchester 54 - 10/05/18 01:05 AM
I agree, this is an instance where a wood graft is called for. The rest of the stock is too cool to throw away.
Posted By: TN Longhunter Re: Winchester 54 - 10/05/18 09:17 PM
Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
That is a G&H stock. Too bad about the carving. Look carefully; the forearm tip should be horn.

That was what I was hoping to hear. That it was a G&H stock. I have looked closely at the forearm and it might be horn. I'm use to very black solid horn while this has a slight "grain" that does look like ebony but is almost too straight. Will pull the stock off and look.
Posted By: Wind River Re: Winchester 54 - 10/09/18 03:25 PM
Very nice, I have always liked the model 54 with the schnabel forearm, never saw a G&H before. If it was me, I would try to stain the carving so that it does not stand out as much, and leave it alone.
Posted By: Vall Re: Winchester 54 - 10/09/18 05:06 PM
I'll just add that I too would plane off or cut off the carving, and find a piece of walnut to laminate to the side of that stock to build it back.
I've done this type of repair when someone proudly carved their initials or other crude art into a decent stock, and if done properly the repair is invisible, or close to invisible. Either way, it will look much better, and save a very cool stock and gun.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Winchester 54 - 10/09/18 07:11 PM
I don't think the carving was finished. It would look a lot better if the border of the carving were blended into the stock and some finish added. I would buy that gun.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com