doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Hammergun Springfield Sporter ID - 09/09/18 02:59 PM
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/old-school-03-springfield-sporter-picked-up.45226/

This was posted on africahunting.com. I looked through the Petrov books and no luck.

The guy paid $320. Not bad.
Posted By: xausa Re: Springfield Sporter ID - 09/09/18 03:41 PM
Checkering looks somewhat like Fred Adolph's. From the shape of the bolt handle, I would say that it has a low serial number. The front edge of the receiver ring is not altered, so probably not a Wundhammer.
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Springfield Sporter ID - 09/10/18 12:38 PM
Thanks xausa. I was thinking maybe Wundhammer but you're right. It's not.
Posted By: bsteele Re: Springfield Sporter ID - 09/10/18 05:09 PM
I think whoever checkered that stock might have seen an Adolph stock, but that’s where it ends. That said, it is a decent rifle and worth every penny paid
Posted By: gasgunner Re: Springfield Sporter ID - 09/10/18 06:33 PM
The softening of the receiver reinforce ahead of the loading port looks like something that Pachmayr might have done. Not jumping to any conclusions, just sayin.

John
Posted By: bsteele Re: Springfield Sporter ID - 09/10/18 10:39 PM
I can see Gus Pachmayr, if someone else added the patch of checkering just below the receiver. It’s off center and almost gets gets into the checkerong on the grip.

Still a very nice early rifle.
Posted By: DanLH Re: Springfield Sporter ID - 09/11/18 03:21 AM
Gus Pachmayr rounded the reinforce more than this one. The serial is in the Mark 1 range so it was probably a national match rifle but the bolt should be polished but could have been blued later.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com