doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PhysDoc Pope barreled 1903's - 04/21/18 10:19 AM
I am posting these pictures for Dan, I am sure that he will provide
descriptions shortly.

Posted By: DanLH Re: Pope barreled 1903's - 04/22/18 04:11 AM
The one with the scope was Michael's Pope barreled rifle by Ross King. The middle one is a Pope barreled rifle by S Griffin and the bottom one is a Pope barreled rifle by an unknown maker. The Griffin rifle has a Hoffman Howe-Whelen sight and was never D&T for a Lyman 48. The Pope barrel dates are 1921 for the King and Griffin and 1935 for the unknown.
Thought it might be interesting to the viewers.
Dan
Posted By: Thaine Re: Pope barreled 1903's - 04/22/18 06:11 AM
Dan, thanks for sharing and Fred for posting. Are all in '06 and is the S. Griffin rifle's front sight a sporting or target type?
Thaine
Posted By: DanLH Re: Pope barreled 1903's - 04/23/18 02:34 AM
Thaine,

The front sight has a post and laying that down there is an aperture. I have talked with Gary Bush about it and he has a similar sight that is marked Lyman. Looking in the old sight book it appears that it is a Lyman 17, the forerunner of the 17A which has removable inserts but this example is not marked Lyman.
Dan
Posted By: Vall Re: Pope barreled 1903's - 04/23/18 03:42 PM
I believe that's a Lyman #7, not #17. The #7 had the post/peep style flip up feature.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Pope barreled 1903's - 04/25/18 02:37 AM
Dan, Can you say anything about how they shoot?
Posted By: Thaine Re: Pope barreled 1903's - 04/25/18 03:38 AM
I can't speak for Dan, but this is what Michael had to say about the Ross King Pope down towards the lower part of the page. It will also give you an idea how it performed for him compared to other classics.
Posted By: DanLH Re: Pope barreled 1903's - 04/25/18 03:51 AM
Bill,
Yes, Michael had posted about shooting the King (thanks Thaine for the link) and I had tried it once. Unfortunately the mold Michael had used which was either made by John Wills or modified by him was sold before I got the rifle. I have not tried the unknown and just got the Griffin at Tulsa. The seller of the Griffin had tried cast bullets and wasn't impressed but when I got home I think I know why. There is a lot of copper fouling in the barrel which I need to clean out before I try it.
It is on my list of things to get done this year, shoot a bunch of my sporters with cast bullets. I plan to use the paper plate targets like Michael did.
Dan
Posted By: irs Re: Pope barreled 1903's - 05/30/18 06:19 PM
Might be worth comparing the bottom rifle to some pictures in " Modern Gunsmith" by James V. Howe.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com