doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Nitro Xpress New Purdey rifle with a floating barrel - 02/07/18 06:18 AM
The English firm Purdey released a new bolt action rifle, which I believe will replace their classic bolt action rifle. Instead of being stocked in the classic fashion without gaps and with a cross bolt in the stock, this new rifle has a hidden metal chassis and a free-floating barrel with a gap between the barrel and stock. It costs about half what the classic bolt action rifle costs.

What are your thoughts about this rifle? I personally feel that it cheapens the brand and departs from the traditional configuration of a "London" rifle. A "free floating" barrel is what I expect to find on a $200 rifle, not a London made one. Find information and a promotional "review" on the following link

http://www.purdey.com/guns-rifles/new-bolt-action-rifle

Let's hear your thoughts gentlemen smile
Posted By: SKB Re: New Purdey rifle with a floating barrel - 02/07/18 02:17 PM
Not my cup of tea. The stock is way to straight and they forgot to put the sights on wink
With rifles, accuracy count heavily in the balance. If this (copy of a Model 70) rifle is as accurate as they say it might be interesting. However, I can buy a better rifle in the USA for a lot less money.
I could live with the free floated barrel and Ti insert way easier than I could live with the ugly stock styling. The shaping and checkering look like something that should be on a Mossberg.

With that straight stock you could never get behind iron sights anyway.

John
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: New Purdey rifle with a floating barrel - 02/07/18 08:06 PM
Mossberg? Did someone say Mossberg?
With stock finish by Remington...
Posted By: Der Ami Re: New Purdey rifle with a floating barrel - 02/07/18 09:10 PM
I suspect that for 25,000 pounds they would give you any dimensions and finish you want.
Mike
Posted By: ellenbr Re: New Purdey rifle with a floating barrel - 02/07/18 10:39 PM
Ah, Purdey lifted that from Johann Fanzoj:

http://fanzoj.com/collection/bolt-action-rifles/fanzoj-titanium-ti-3/

The Brits for the longest time have copied the mechanics of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

lp,

Raimey
rse
I don't think Fanzoi had the "contraption" that supposedly helps the bedding along in the Purdey. Once you get to minute of angle, what is the need for more hardware?
Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Ah, Purdey lifted that from Johann Fanzoj:

http://fanzoj.com/collection/bolt-action-rifles/fanzoj-titanium-ti-3/

The Brits for the longest time have copied the mechanics of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

lp,

Raimey
rse

Ahhh, thank you. My eyes are not hurting nearly as bad now.

John
Originally Posted By: eightbore
I don't think Fanzoi had the "contraption" that supposedly helps the bedding along in the Purdey. Once you get to minute of angle, what is the need for more hardware?

Indeed, the Fanzoj has an action made of (some?) titanium parts, which is something that is being done by other makers such as Reimer Johannsen. The Purdey is a standard steel action that rides on a titanium chassis in the stock.

The way I look at it is that a floating barrel does indeed improve accuracy, but these are traditional hunting rifles, not bench rest competition rifles. A classic rifle that's stocked without gaps is accurate enough for hunting game, and that "floating barrel" thing is simply a cost-cutting measure that does not belong on a best gun. That's why there are no floating barrels on Hartmann and Weiss rifles while a $300 Remington 783 has one grin

And yes, that stock is hideous!
Posted By: gunmaker Re: New Purdey rifle with a floating barrel - 02/08/18 04:24 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this is reactionary to Rigby dominating the modern English bolt gun market?
Posted By: craigd Re: New Purdey rifle with a floating barrel - 02/08/18 05:03 PM
Interesting, it looks like American styling lines. I suppose they're banking on selling the name, but may not be doing the name much of a favor. I think they might have considered it an option as a rough use gun, rather than making claims that it's a new 'best' rifle benchmark and criticize the performance of their previous bolt rifles and likely the clients that purchased them. I've wondered why some of the makers don't offer a discriminating line of 'shot and regulated by' rifles from the trade. I think a bean counter built that rifle, not a gunmaker.
Originally Posted By: craigd
but may not be doing the name much of a favor. I think they might have considered it an option as a rough use gun, rather than making claims that it's a new 'best' rifle benchmark and criticize the performance of their previous bolt rifles and likely the clients that purchased them

Agree. In this day and age a fine gunmaker would most likely need to subsidise "best" guns with other products, but Purdey already sells a massive collection of these products such as belts, socks, walking canes, china, glasses, pants, shoes, dog pillows and about a million other products. I don't think they should have dropped the classic bolt gun and called this cheapened one the new "best". Same goes for the half-Italian Sporter boxlock with monobloc barrels, and the upcoming O/U Purdey boxlock that will be English made. They are ruining a reputation built over two centuries in my opinion smirk
a $25,000 "rough use" gun? Yeah, right.

I don't know what they are looking for, but anyone selling a new rifle for $25K is not talking a language I understand, rough gun, smooth gun, I don't care what you call it.

On the other hand, if they are doing whatever they have to do to prevent their own extinction, then more power to them. I just can't help.
Originally Posted By: BrentD

On the other hand, if they are doing whatever they have to do to prevent their own extinction, then more power to them. I just can't help.

That can actually backfire and lead to that extinction. If for example Rolex began offering secondary lines of plastic watches and ones half built in China, a lot of people would stop buying their top tier watches because the "cachet" of the entire brand is gone.

Why would anyone pay 25,000 GBP ($35,000) for this new free-floating gun when they can buy a similarly accurate J.P. Sauer for $4,000 or a Sako 85 for even less? These historical names are now virtually transforming from "best" makers into manufacturers who offer top grade and lower grade lines, just like Beretta or Browning. As these best makers continue to kill whatever mystique and romance associated with the perceivable exclusivity of the brand, there will be no reasons left not to choose a Beretta or a Browning instead.

I think this is what happens when a company is owned by a luxury goods conglomerate whose board knows nothing about gunmaking smirk
A $10,000 Mauser Rigby seems to be a good deal now. However, my choice for elegant hunting is an early Springfield custom by a known maker. I just don't understand the Purdey.
Posted By: vangulil Re: New Purdey rifle with a floating barrel - 02/09/18 10:25 PM
The scope rings look much too high to me. Little or no chance of any check weld for deliberate shooting. Also would be completely unsuited for mounting quickly for shots at moving game.

Certainly will not mount like a Purdey shotgun.
Posted By: Buzz Re: New Purdey rifle with a floating barrel - 02/10/18 12:30 AM
I’m not much of a rifle guy, and really I don’t give a hoot, but free floating makes a more accurate rifle. If a rifle isn’t accurate, I’d say it’s a POS. Accuracy is all that matters in a rifle, at least to me. Looks like Purdey is trying to make a very accurate rifle, at least that’s what I see. It says ‘Purdey’ on it, hence the price. This gun will always have value, because of the name, even though no better than a lesser name.
I own Purdeys and I also own rifles that cost less than $300 and shoot less than one inch groups at 100 yards. I don't need to spend $25,000 on a rifle that shoots a one inch group at 100 yards. I will buy Purdeys for different reasons than group size.
Give me an American made custom gun - everything you can wish for and ACCURATE. Also costs less than 1/2 what the Purdey costs and is a better rifle.

They do make really fine shotguns.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com