doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Calgary Bill TOP LEVER SINGLE SHOT VARMINT RIFLE - 01/05/18 05:15 PM
As the heading says, I'm thinking about getting a vintage single shot varmint rifle. A 22 Hornet gets my attention with its rimmed case, mild recoil, readily available ammo and components. With a scope I'm sure that gophers and crows would be in grave danger out to 200 yards or so.
I did a quick net search and found a nice Westley Richards at Champlin that looks good to me. It's in incredible condition and even has scope bases---it is a sleeved gun but that doesn't affect the shootability.
What do you people think about this gun? Do any alternatives come to mind?
Thanks
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: TOP LEVER SINGLE SHOT VARMINT RIFLE - 01/05/18 05:23 PM
A .25-20 SS or Winchester or just about any of the old .25 cal cases would be great (but probably not the .25 hornet). However, I don't see those in toplever guns too often. More common in a falling block like a Winchester 1885 or a Ballard.

That Westley is a darn pretty rifle though!
Posted By: Remington40x Re: TOP LEVER SINGLE SHOT VARMINT RIFLE - 01/05/18 07:27 PM
Great cartridge. I have three: A BSA Model 15 converted to centerfire and rechambered, a custom Springfield 1922 converted to centerfire and a Thompson Center Contender.

But if you're looking for an old-time varmint cartridge, don't fail to consider the .219 Zipper, the .25-35 (with lighter weight bullets), the .25-20s or even some of the older rook cartridges.

Browning made its Lo-Wall in .22 Hornet for a while and you might be able to pick one of those up for less than 25% of what the WR is priced.

That being said, it's one extremely nice rifle and I'd love to find it inside my vault.
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: TOP LEVER SINGLE SHOT VARMINT RIFLE - 01/05/18 10:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Remington40x
Great cartridge. I have three: A BSA Model 15 converted to centerfire and rechambered, a custom Springfield 1922 converted to centerfire and a Thompson Center Contender.

But if you're looking for an old-time varmint cartridge, don't fail to consider the .219 Zipper, the .25-35 (with lighter weight bullets), the .25-20s or even some of the older rook cartridges.

Browning made its Lo-Wall in .22 Hornet for a while and you might be able to pick one of those up for less than 25% of what the WR is priced.

That being said, it's one extremely nice rifle and I'd love to find it inside my vault.

Thanks for your comments 40X---I had a 40X in 222 Rem that I shot for years.
I should have mentioned that my preference is an English rifle---I have a weakness for side-by-sides, so why not splurge and get an English "rook" rifle.
Posted By: craigd Re: TOP LEVER SINGLE SHOT VARMINT RIFLE - 01/05/18 10:59 PM
I think if the preference is to shoot off of a rest, the break style of action is the most disruptive to consistent shooting. This is only a thought, but at that price, maybe you could contact WR, and get an idea how it left the factory. With that budget, I'd think it opens up options. Anyway, best of luck with it.
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: TOP LEVER SINGLE SHOT VARMINT RIFLE - 01/06/18 12:02 AM
You are right a top lever is a real pain shooting off a bench.
Anyway, I'm just looking at this point.
An alternative would be a Hagn falling block but one of those with a nice custom stock and engraving by a custom rifle maker would be about 3x the WR.
Doesn't cost anything to look, explore and dream.
Bill
Posted By: Huvius Re: TOP LEVER SINGLE SHOT VARMINT RIFLE - 01/06/18 04:09 AM
Lining rook rifles to 22 Hornet is pretty common and straightforward.
I have an Alex Henry falling block which has had exactly that done to it.
There are others out on the market, falling blocks and break actions.
An alternative is to find a rook with a poor bore and get it refined yourself, breathing new life into an unloved, unused rifle is quite rewarding.
Posted By: Vall Re: TOP LEVER SINGLE SHOT VARMINT RIFLE - 01/06/18 06:26 PM
If your preference is English, and you want something to varmint hunt with, I'd choose a Martini style action over a break open. The WR is a beautiful gun, but not conducive to easy use off the bench or a rest in the field.
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: TOP LEVER SINGLE SHOT VARMINT RIFLE - 01/07/18 06:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Huvius
Lining rook rifles to 22 Hornet is pretty common and straightforward.
I have an Alex Henry falling block which has had exactly that done to it.
There are others out on the market, falling blocks and break actions.
An alternative is to find a rook with a poor bore and get it refined yourself, breathing new life into an unloved, unused rifle is quite rewarding.

Yes, I've restored a few shotguns from ugly ducklings to fine guns worthy of praise. Not sure that it was financially justifiable but it was fun to do.
If one looks hard enough you can sometimes find an already restored gun at a reasonable price.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: TOP LEVER SINGLE SHOT VARMINT RIFLE - 01/15/18 01:28 PM
Bill I called Champlin about that gun 6 months ago and was told it had been sold! Maybe it is a return appearance, who knows. You probably know Kirby Hoyt has 10 or so interesting rook rifles in at the moment. Don't be dissuaded from purchasing due to an obsolete caliber chambering. I have two rifles in .255 and enjoy shooting them with the ammunition from Colorado custom cartridge.
Posted By: Mike A. Re: TOP LEVER SINGLE SHOT VARMINT RIFLE - 02/05/18 08:42 PM
Not in the same galaxy as an H&H rook rifle, but I have a Savage Model 219B from the 1960s that was a .22 Hornet that some "friend" of my uncle's rechambered it to .22-30-30 AI. When I inherited it, I had it relined to .25-20 WCF so I could retire my Lowall.

It really shoots very well, and with a 26" barrel, doesn't need a suppressor. No wonder they called "the Twenty Twins" "poachers' guns" when I was a kid....
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: TOP LEVER SINGLE SHOT VARMINT RIFLE - 02/05/18 08:47 PM
The .25-20 that I owned was surprisingly loud in my opinion.

Perhaps that was because I shot it with blackpowder now that I think about it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com