doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gasgunner G&H at Rock Island - 12/02/17 03:59 PM
So did anyone here get this?
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail...eld-m1903-rifle

I went up to look at it, figured that would be my only chance to see it in person. Just an amazing rifle.

John
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: G&H at Rock Island - 12/02/17 04:57 PM
Extraordinary rifle, mind bogalling in sophistication and yet unappealing to my notion of collectable. I was fortunate to see and have Mark Benenson hand this rifle to me to inspect in the hands at the Custom Gun Show in Reno several years ago. I believe this was the high dollar item when Marks' collection was first auctioned. Mark was responcible for the bayonet and the Rabeno engraved floorplate to complete the ensemble.
Posted By: Vall Re: G&H at Rock Island - 12/03/17 01:06 AM
That is an amazing gun. Almost seems contradictory to see a military style rifle done up with the fancy wood and engraving, but remain in military configuration for the most part.
Still, it's extremely well executed and very lovely to look at to me. But I love odd guns!
Posted By: David Zincavage Re: G&H at Rock Island - 12/03/17 03:05 AM
I have trouble picturing any G&H Springfield, no matter how nice or unique, making that kind of estimate absent some major celebrity association.
Posted By: DanLH Re: G&H at Rock Island - 12/03/17 05:19 AM
John,
Do you know how much it went for, if it did sell?
Dan
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: G&H at Rock Island - 12/03/17 06:16 AM
Don't quote me on this, but I believe it went for $26,000+ the first time around....
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: G&H at Rock Island - 12/03/17 01:32 PM
Any guesses on who did the stock carving ?
Posted By: LRF Re: G&H at Rock Island - 12/03/17 03:17 PM
The workmanship is great, bravo to the craftsman and artist, however a similar gun would be to take an AK47 stock it in fancy wood and then engrave the sheet metal receiver. How would you feel about that? After all the 1903 was the Assault Rifle of its era!
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: G&H at Rock Island - 12/03/17 03:20 PM
I have seen An AR15 with case coloring, engraving, and English walnut. I can't say I found it attractive or even interesting in the slightest.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: G&H at Rock Island - 12/03/17 06:01 PM
"Pimped Turnbull"

Posted By: LRF Re: G&H at Rock Island - 12/03/17 06:51 PM
So that is a fully made gun since to case harden the lower and upper would need to be made from steel which a regular action is made from aluminum. So the guns weight must have significantly increased and cost prohibitive. OMG And when you are all done all you have is a gaudy noisy rattle trap spring bonging rifle not really good for much other then war and in some cases a target rifle (not this one however). Basically known as excessive consumption. Makes you just a bit nauseated.
Also the stock is plastic not real wood

Sad that it has a viewing on such a prestigious forum as this dedicated to fine classic sporting rifles.

Yes I am opinionated on this.
Posted By: gasgunner Re: G&H at Rock Island - 12/03/17 09:18 PM
Originally Posted By: DanLH
John,
Do you know how much it went for, if it did sell?
Dan

I do not. They should have realized prices up on the web site in the next few days.

John
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: G&H at Rock Island - 12/03/17 09:44 PM
According to proxibid, it went for $25,000 to an onsite bidder

proxibid link
Posted By: gasgunner Re: G&H at Rock Island - 12/04/17 12:16 PM
Which is about the same as it went for at Amoskeag a couple years ago.

John
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com