doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: rocky mtn bill unknown Lyman sight - 11/13/17 07:48 PM
I recently found a Lyman tang sight for the 1885 Winchester that looks like a 1-A only with a windage adjustable eye piece. I've seen pictures of this sight before but not the thing itself. I'd like to know when it was offered and how it was designated.
Posted By: skeettx Re: unknown Lyman sight - 11/13/17 07:54 PM
Pictures please???
Perhaps a Lyman 15?

Windgauge was the term used smile

No. 15 Windgauge Tang Sight – patented August 23, 1887. This was the first sight that could NOT folded down like the No. 1 and No. 2 Tang sights, and because of that fact, it was a poor seller and was discontinued in 1906.

http://vintagesights.com/apps/blog/entries/show/4339619-lyman-sight-code

Mike
Posted By: Poorhouse Re: unknown Lyman sight - 11/13/17 08:30 PM
Lyman offered a separate windage-adjustable stem (No. 47, I think) that would fit in several of their tang sights. Result was sort of like the Pope tang sight.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: unknown Lyman sight - 11/14/17 05:11 AM
Poorhouse, I think you have it nailed. skeettx, my sight folds and has the rotating lever that locks it in place when it's upright. It does look like pictures I've seen of the Pope sight.I'd be glad to post photos if I could but lack the means to do so.
Posted By: Vall Re: unknown Lyman sight - 11/14/17 04:18 PM
The Ukranian made Parts Unknown company out of Canada also made copies of the adjustable stems made similar to Pope's design. They were pretty nice copies and I see them often fitted to original sights. Unfortunately the company stopped doing business after 9/11 when it became so difficult to import almost any gun parts across the border or even into Canada.
Posted By: craigd Re: unknown Lyman sight - 11/14/17 05:23 PM
Availability seems to be spotty, but if I'm not mistaken, Buffalo Arms offers the Ukranian sights under the Red River brand name.
Posted By: Vall Re: unknown Lyman sight - 11/15/17 03:33 PM
They did offer them under both Parts Unknown, and Red River. But I believe both were the same company, and both are nonexistent now. Whatever few pieces or complete sights they have, are likely the last.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com