doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Thaine Photobucket Workaround - 09/25/17 04:34 PM
Brent's and LRFs comment got me to thinking and here is what I found. I use Chrome as a browser, with an ad blocker to avoid those annoying popups. Googling "workaround for Photobucket pictures" led me to a Google extension "Photobucket embed fix". I installed it and it seems to work. I closed Chrome and rebooted my computer after installation. To test, I went back to about page 140 of old posts and was able to see the majority of photos on Michael's posts as well as others.

Time to waste several days of my life saving these as a webpage on my backup drive.

Your mileage may vary, but for now this does seem to be a temp fix for some if not all of the problem.

Edited to add: the ad blocker extension I use is "AdBlocker Ultimate" from the Chrome toolbox.
Posted By: craigd Re: Photobucket Workaround - 09/25/17 06:13 PM
Thanks for taking the time to bring this up. It's potentially helpful, not just for the recent concerns, but for other lost pictures that seem to happen here and there. It might certainly make searches more productive.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Photobucket Workaround - 09/25/17 08:46 PM
Saving Michael's pictures would seem to be a noble effort. I had printed pictures of Michael's gun racks in order to plan my own two level rack system. I'm sure glad I did, because mine are very similar to his.
Posted By: LRF Re: Photobucket Workaround - 09/25/17 09:09 PM
OMG Thaine, that is great. I installed it and I didn't even have to reboot or do anything out of the ordinary and all of Michael's pics are back. I hope it holds and I too will be saving images.

Also thanks Brent for getting Thaine thinking. smile
Posted By: SKB Re: Photobucket Workaround - 09/25/17 09:29 PM
Thank you!!!!!!
Posted By: Thaine Re: Photobucket Workaround - 09/25/17 09:36 PM
"thanks Brent for getting Thaine thinking."

LOL, that sometimes takes two mules and a bulldozer, but at least it worked this time.
Posted By: Vall Re: Photobucket Workaround - 09/25/17 10:02 PM
I must be doing something wrong. Loaded Google Chrome, and then loaded the embed fix, but still can't see the pictures.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Photobucket Workaround - 09/25/17 10:50 PM
Did you reboot?
Posted By: Vall Re: Photobucket Workaround - 09/25/17 11:02 PM
Originally Posted By: skeettx
Did you reboot?

Yes.
Posted By: Thaine Re: Photobucket Workaround - 09/25/17 11:05 PM
Something else to check besides what I PMed you Vall is to click on the 3 stacked dots in the upper RH corner of Chrome, select more tools, select extensions and then in the browser page it opens, be sure the extension is enabled.
Posted By: Vall Re: Photobucket Workaround - 09/25/17 11:12 PM
Checked that too, and the box is checked that says it's enabled.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Photobucket Workaround - 09/25/17 11:41 PM
this is great, maybe Dave should make it a sticky
Posted By: LRF Re: Photobucket Workaround - 09/26/17 01:50 PM
A couple observations: Paging thru some of the pictures we can now see. Trying to save some of these images to my computer so as not to lose them. Note, when you go to save them as some are PNG type and some are JPG type. The JPG save good and you can see them off line well. However not so for the PNG files and save with the annoying Photobucket comment, but there is a work around. In the thread double click the image and it will display directly from Photobucket and then when you go to save the image it saves as a JPG file. At least this is what I am seeing.
Posted By: LRF Re: Photobucket Workaround - 10/12/17 10:11 PM
This solution from Thaine was working for me and now stopped working for me. I even deleted the extension and then reloaded and also rebooted Chrome. Is it still working for you? (Anyone who had it working)
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Photobucket Workaround - 10/12/17 11:14 PM
Hi Lynn

It is still working for me.
Posted By: LRF Re: Photobucket Workaround - 10/13/17 02:32 AM
Sent you a PM
Posted By: Thaine Re: Photobucket Workaround - 10/13/17 04:23 AM
Lynn,

I just checked it on my desktop and laptop systems and it is still going strong for me. There's the occasional one that gives me the Photobucket death message, but I would say an easy 95% come through. This is for photos from multiple individuals that I am sure used PB in the past.

Edited to add: I just googled "photobucket chrome workaround" and there are some new extensions listed. I added one (photobucket hotlink fix) to my system, disabled the embedded fix extension and was able to still see the old photos of Michael's. Those of you having problems might want to try a different extension.
Thaine
Posted By: LRF Re: Photobucket Workaround - 10/13/17 12:50 PM
Amazingly, this morning I was able to see some of the pics but not all. I also got it to work on my IPad. I guess the moral is keep trying, try rebooting the computer, try deleting the extension and reloading it or ask some one on the group to try to get the pics for you. If fact that is why I again was trying to see the old pics. A member on here asked if I had downloaded some of Michael's old pics. Well we have them for him as soon as he sends his email address to me.
Posted By: Dennis Daigger Re: Photobucket Workaround - 10/14/17 12:55 AM
After Lynn helped me with the Petrov images I wanted I discovered another solution to view the PB images.

For anyone resisting to the nth degree being further pulled into the fold of the tech giants of Google and Amazon you do not need to use Google Chrome to solve the PB dilemma. There is an extension you can use in the open source Firefox browser that allows you to view the embedded PB images on this forum normally.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com