doublegunshop.com - home
I have a late seventies G&H in the shop that has a buggered bolt handle job and I am tasked with fixing it. Can someone give me some information photos etc. as to how it would have looked. A side mount is on the rifle but I don't know if it was originally fitted or not I am waiting on G&H to reply back and tell me if that detail is documented I suspect it wasn't and after the addition the bolt was altered then re done again. Were bolts ever altered or replaced in addition to the side mount from G&H? most the ones I have seen do not appear to be any different from the standard bolt.

Thank you for helping

Pics would be a big help. Without seeing the bolt handle I wouldn't even hazard a guess. As for whether or not the side mount was installed by G&H, if they did it the screw heads will be flush with no slots showing. Ie: they installed them with extra long screw heads and pins and ground them flush before bluing, making them nearly invisible. That's not to say though that a conscientious smith wouldn't have done the same thing.
- Let's see if this helps...

Thank you that does help and that is the second one I have seen like that. I have a pre war G&H on loan that does not have a side mount and the bolt is un altered and the reciever is not notched also there is no notch in the stock since the handle sticks out enough to clear.
Nick,
1960's, G&H, M-70 (the only bolt handle pic I have)

I've also got pics of 1930's G&H if you woud like?
Thanks Steve,

If you have pics of a Springfield that would be great. Also if someone could get a pic of one with the bolt handle up (like the Springfield shown above) showing the root and notch in the tang that would help. I have discussed this with a friend and he thinks that they cut the handle off and welded it back on backwards (for scoped rifles) and it certainly looks like it. I have a couple old bolts and will test the theory.
Here is my G&H Springfield sporter, complete with altered bolt:
Nick,

Here are 2 views of the bolt on G&H Springfield 24xx.

Here is one that shows the side mount (# unknown)

And here is one from a Kornbrath era gun

Bob Beach
Archivist
Griffin & Howe, Inc
This early (pre-WW II) sporter has the scope mounted high enough that no bolt alteration is necessary:

The slide on the Lyman 48 receiver sight also remains in place.

Late 1920s Griffin & Howe Springfield.

Mr. Z,

Is the first photo reversed? LH action?

gold40
You're right. That photo was reversed. The rifle is the usual right-hand model.
Well it turns out I mis communicated with the owner and took it upon myself to restore the handle and replicate what may have been on it when they simply wanted a nice pear shaped knob that looked decent. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.....

Posted By: LRx Re: Need some help working on a G&H Springfield - 05/03/17 04:00 AM
Very nice Nick!
Nick, I love what you did. The "pear" is beautiful!
Your finished product looks very much like the bolt handle on a pre-World War II Model 70 Winchester, which appears to have been in turn patterned after the Griffin and Howe handle. I would never have thought that such a perfect match could be achieved without access to the tools and jigs G&H used in their shop.

Congratulations!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com