doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: cgs Custom Sako Vixen - 04/29/16 10:56 PM
Hi All,

Those of you who know me and our shop's work know that most of our work revolves around doubles. This is the first full blown custom bolt project that we've taken on. It was a challenge and took me out of my comfort zone but I'm pleased with the final result. The customer provided a Sako L461 in .222 and requested that we create a rifle that looks like a 1930's Griffin and Howe custom. The only variation from that theme was a request for a more open grip. Wood work is all my fault, my partner Ken Waite III handled the metal prep and finishing (except casehardening which was done by Turnbull Restoration and Mfg.). Bob Strosin cut the engraving. The trap buttplate is a Biesen and I "cavitated" the wood behind it to hold the Sako receiver sight. The bottom metal was provided by Duane Wiebe.

Best, Dan

[img:left][/img]

Posted By: RHD45 Re: Custom Sako Vixen - 04/29/16 11:12 PM
Beautiful and I want one. I have a set of bottom metal for one by Mr. Wiebe as a start and an Albright trap buttplate.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Custom Sako Vixen - 04/30/16 02:13 AM
Pretty darn nice!
Posted By: Jim Kobe Re: Custom Sako Vixen - 05/09/16 12:13 PM
Thanks for posting, a real classic, beautiful
Posted By: skeettx Re: Custom Sako Vixen - 05/09/16 05:42 PM
SWEET!!
Thank you for sharing
Mike
Posted By: bcowern Re: Custom Sako Vixen - 05/10/16 01:04 AM
That is one very fine rifle. What type of wood is the stock made of, and has it been stained?

Regards,
Powderman
Posted By: Cameron Re: Custom Sako Vixen - 05/10/16 04:08 AM
Darn nice looking rifle Dan! You should be pleased with the results!

Thanks for posting some photos of it.
Posted By: cgs Re: Custom Sako Vixen - 05/11/16 12:29 PM
Thank you all for the kind comments!

Powderman - it is English walnut sourced from the USA and yes I did stain the stock. Customer's request was that the rifle be a reflection of early G&H rifles. Many, if not most of those rifle's stocks have a nice warm redness to them.

Best, Dan
Posted By: bcowern Re: Custom Sako Vixen - 05/11/16 04:11 PM
cgs,

Thanks for the reply. I first thought the stock might be rosewood. I sure do like the look of your stock. Is it a alkanes root stain?

Regards,
Powderman
Posted By: cgs Re: Custom Sako Vixen - 05/13/16 02:35 AM
Powderman - No alkanet, I used a commercial alcohol based stain.

Best, Dan
Posted By: King Brown Re: Custom Sako Vixen - 05/15/16 01:58 PM
I love 'em all but rifles are closest to my heart. You got it right. It doesn't call attention to itself but the holder knows what he has in his hands. Clean. Perfect.
Posted By: tut Re: Custom Sako Vixen - 05/15/16 09:06 PM
That is a very nice stick of walnut and I very much like the shawdowline cheekpiece. Very very nice. Strosin is a gem to work with.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com