doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PhysDoc Morphy Auction - 01/31/16 01:06 PM
Things have been kind of slow here lately, so I thought
I would post some auction links of some nice stuff that I can't afford.

DuBiel

Niedner

Sedgley 30-06

another Sedgley

Sedgley 22 Hornet

Enjoy
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Morphy Auction - 01/31/16 02:38 PM
This auction did have a number of rifles of the sort that appeals to members here. My son and I were in Las Vegas for the show and went out to Morphy's the evening before the sale to have a first hand look. We bid on a number of items. Fortunately, we missed out on most of them. I did manage to buy Item # 415, one of the Sedgley's mentioned above. The price was not a bargain, but it's the cleanest one I've ever seen. Some of the others did go for modest prices.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Morphy Auction - 02/03/16 07:11 PM
I was disappointed that Morphy took the guns to Vegas. I enjoy his auctions closer to home. Any idea what the hammer price was on the blued Purdey?
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Morphy Auction - 02/03/16 08:00 PM
this one?
Purdey
Posted By: SKB Re: Morphy Auction - 02/04/16 01:32 PM
Great lines on the stock of that little Niedner .22lr
Posted By: eightbore Re: Morphy Auction - 02/04/16 05:24 PM
Thank you for the Purdey link.
Posted By: dmentzer Re: Morphy Auction - 02/05/16 03:31 PM
Another Sedgely for auction tomorrow, 2/6/16. A shortened action 250/3000. Here is the auction listing. Go to upcoming auctions. It is Gun #135. It states that the peep is missing but I did find it.
http://www.horstauction.com/

Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Morphy Auction - 02/08/16 02:28 PM
Does anyone know what this Sedgely 250-3000 went for? And if so, what was the price?
Posted By: dmentzer Re: Morphy Auction - 02/08/16 04:18 PM
It went for $2150. I would have liked to have it. I played with it almost every day for the last month or so and it was just a really neat gun, especially after I found the peep and took the scope off.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Morphy Auction - 02/11/16 04:42 PM
Thanks, I suppose if you can't keep it, it was still fun to handle it. My FFL dealer processes a lot of transactions for things won on gunbroker, I joke that everyday must seem like Christmas to him with interesting things to unwrap.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Morphy Auction - 02/20/16 05:37 PM
Here are some more auctions that I thought were interesting,

NRA sporter

If you look close, you can see the serial number electropenciled
on the top of the bolt. It is in the book as an NRA sporter,
and the stock looks like it was an NRA sporter stock that was reworked. I was a bit put off by the barrel length as listed by the seller "26 inches", I sent off a query but didn't get a reply.

Then there is this,

Winchester 54 22 Hornet

The scope mount is a very early Weaver, and there is some sort of cocking piece sight. It is hard to believe that no one upgraded the optics, it looks like it has been in a time capsule.
Posted By: xausa Re: Morphy Auction - 02/20/16 08:32 PM
Fred,

Unbelievably low prices for those two rifles. The Springfield would be easily salvageable, I think. The holes for the Weaver side mount could be plugged or a G&H side mount fitted, using the same holes. If you mounted something like a Noske, then no bolt alteration would be required.

Did you notice the description on the Model 54? "Hornet .22lr". The buyer is in for a surprise, if he doesn't know any better. The cocking sleeve sight is missing the slide, like another one I know of, but that perhaps could be remedied. I you replace that awful Model 54 trigger and bottom metal and alter the bolt, you would almost have a Model 70.

I have a Model 70 Hornet around here somewhere which someone altered to .222 Remington and I altered back. It is a shooter, with a 1/15" twist barrel.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com