doublegunshop.com - home
so, what is it? I bought a Bausch & Lomb one-piece mount for a Model of 1917 sporter (actually, 3 of them, but that's another story). I paid the 'smith to mount it to the rifle. All of this was under the assumption it was a standard Weaver type 7/8" dovetail mount. The rings will not tighten down far enough to grab. Measurement across the wide part of the mount shows ~.740". Metric? Maybe 18-19mm....

What other systems were tried before the Weaver became standard? Can I still find rings?

Sheesh....the things I get myself into.

Thanks,
Hoot

(FWIW, cross posted elsewhere as I see a couple common names here and there.)
You might want to try a set of Weaver tip off 7/8 in. diameter rings made for a Lyman Alaskan Scope. I was left a 1949 M70 Win. with Weaver rings and base and a Lyman Alaskan on it, and because I needed more power I had the Lyman and rings removed and tried to have a K4 Weaver with Weaver 1 in. rings mounted on it and they would not tighten up either. Just a thought!
H
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a set in the Dungeon to try.

This is a rifle for my Son in Law and I had just figured to put a entry level scope on it. He sure ain't getting my Alaskan! wink
REMEMBER there were also some 3/4 scopes and I do have a set of
Weaver rings.

Mike

p.s. some of the older mounts also use brass shimming around the tube of the scope to allow tightening
Hi Mike,

Sorry if I was not clear. The rings will not tighten up on the base which is what measures ~.740". I did not measure the base before giving it to the 'smith to install and assumed it was the standard Weaver 7/8" wide style.

I am not familiar with base designs other than the 7/8" Weaver/Picatinny, 3/8" groove for rimfire or Ruger design but assume there have been others.
OK, sorry, but in a pinch, you could also shim and base to allow the rings to tighten. Not the best solution but a viable one.

I thought the old B&L rings were special and fit the B&L base and the base had the windage and elevation and the scope did not.
You may need B&L rings. A picture of the base would be most helpful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bausch-Lomb-4x32...=item4d3505cfcd

I will see what I have on double sided tightening stuff.

Mike

p.s.
maybe these folks will have stuff

http://www.bauschandlombscopemounts.freeservers.com/
Yep, familiar with the 'adjusto-mounts'. I have an old sporter Mauser with a Bal-Var 8 hiding in the pile. laugh

Taken directly from the package. Sorry about the glare...the caliper reads ~.745"

Thanks too for the link. I will pose them a query.

Edited to add: AHA! It's a B&L Trophy Mount. That will help.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com