doublegunshop.com - home
I kind of like getting guns that look interesting and the seller dosent know much about. Not much description and I didnt ask any questions. Any comments on this one? Looks like a Jaeger mount to me? No pics of the buttplate head on but looks nice from the side. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=519515992
You should be excited.

First of all, the cut off number for low numbered Rock Island Springfields is 286,506, so you don't have to be concerned about the strength of the action. In fact, you have what is in my opinion the most desirable Springfield, the double heat treated model, which combines strength with surface hardness, making it just as smooth to operate as the case hardened actions.

The side mount is almost certainly a Jaeger. It is not a Griffin & Howe, Niedner or Noske, and if I remember correctly, the notches in the side of the dovetail base were the way Jadger locked the mount to the base.

The stock looks very much like a Sedgley. If it is, you will probably find his identifying mark of an"S" in a circle on the barrel. At any rate, it is a well done stock.

You should check the muzzle of the barrel for a star gauge mark at 6 o'clock.

I can't tell if the the scope has a 7/8" or a 1" tube, but either way you chould be able to replace it with a more weather proof scope, such as a Lyman Alaskan, if the former, and any modern straight tube scope, if the latter.

Here is a photo of a Sedgley belonging to me for comparison:\

The scallop for the Lyman sight is unique, anybody seen that on other customs? Should have the gun Thursday and better pics
I was watching that rifle too. I like the cheekpiece.
It resembles the one on this Sedgley Krag
Sedgley Krag
The scope mount is definitely a Jaeger, I brought up an
old discussion of sidemounts. The scope is an older Weaver K2.5 or K3.

Oddly enough, I recognize one of the other bidders, I don't know him well enough to ask him what he saw in it, but we have a mutual friend in common and I will ask him to ask him. It may take a while.

I'd love to see more pictures of this rifle. I am always curious
about the quality of the inletting.
I finally got my new Springfield from the FFL a couple days ago. I was frustrated that the bolt would not clear the scope. I couldn't figure it out until I realized that the bolt handle was not resting in the cutout for it in the stock. It finally dawned on me that some evil person switched out the bolt for an unmodified military bolt. Now I need to have a bolt that will work with the scope. This is completely out of my area, how do I get what I need or who do i talk to about it?

Headspace with the existing bolt, or any replacement needs to be checked. Assuming it is good with the existing, I would be sorely tempted to have it modified by forging/grinding/welding.

Headspace is pretty easy with a couple of gauges but will set you back $50/60. If you have a 'smith, it'll probably cost less to have him do it.

Edited to add: The picture link did not work for me but the auction shows a nice rifle. Congrats!
Just buy one already BENT smile
DONE
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/525500.htm

Or just the body

Just throwing this out to you as a possibility. The seller is an FFL dealer who apparently doesn't know a whole lot about this type of firearm, and who says he will be listing several more in the near future. I wonder if he may have taken in a collection from a deceased collector to sell on consignment, and the guns were stored with the bolts removed and stored separately to discourage theft. I've met a couple people who do that. This dealer might have just taken a pile of guns and bolts from the estate and tried them out until he found one that fit. He may still have the correct bolt for this gun in another Springfield rifle. A call or e-mail to the dealer is worth a try and certainly cheaper than headspace gauges or replacing the bolt or bolt handle.
A good thought Keith. I will pursue it! I am thinking not though because the part with the safety is blued while the bolt body is parkerised and the safety lever is for a scope.
Keith's advice is good. My dad tries to maximize the space in
his gun safe by removing the bolts. I can see how easily if
the owner dies and someone inherits things, bolts can become united with the wrong rifles. I think a year or so ago there
was an NRA sporter on gunbroker with a bolt that was serial numbered to a different rifle.

Oddly enough, a similar thing happened to me. I won 1903
in an Amokseag silent auction, only to find that someone
shoved a military bolt into a sporter. Fortunately I had
also won a parts grouping several months previously that also
included a nice sporter bolt. Both bolts headspaced correctly
as did a third that I tried with the action.

So my advice, for what it is worth, is

1. Try Keith's idea, if it doesn't work

2. Be patient and see what happens in the next six months and see if any parts groupings show up on gunbroker or ebay that look like they might include a bolt that would look good with your rifle.

3. If the current bolt works ok, as far as shooting it with iron sights, then maybe have a new handle welded on to work with the scope. I think the Parkerizing could be removed and you could polish the bolt bright.

I like the shape of the cheek piece and color case-hardened
Niedner butt plate.

Fred
I would also try Keith's idea. I can't help but to think the seller knew of the problem and didn't disclose it.
This is a case for asking lots of questions before bidding. However, when you first posted the auction I didn't notice and most people wouldn't either, but every picture with the scope shows the bolt open. There are no pictures of the bolt closed with the scope.
BTW, very nice rifle and a great buy. The good thing is the problem can be easily rectified
Art
I talked to the seller and I am sure he didnt know. He is a class 3 guy and custom springfields are not in his lexicon. He said there were no more springfields but a pile of parts and he will have the grandson in charge of the estate go thru the parts. He felt bad and I told him I was very happy with the rifle anyway. Im pretty gun savvy and it still took me a while to figure out the problem. I was focused on the placement of the scope in the mount and didnt look at the bolt until I had exhausted the scope. I wonder if someone wanted an 03a4 replica and used the bolt for it. Lots of military collector people I know would look with disgust on any sporter.
reb,

If your not successful in a search for the correct bolt let me know. I believe I have several turned down bolts and some weld on handles as well.

Regards,
Ken
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com