doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Nero Rigby 350 Magnum. - 10/07/15 02:14 AM
Having a clear out and thought this might help somebody before it goes in the bin.
Somewhere between thirty and forty years ago I bought a Rigby 350 Magnum.
Came with ten factory rounds.
Couldn't get any new cases at the time so decided to make them from 375 H/H
If I can manage again to post a picture here this is what I did.
Success,
I am not a machinist so had to get a machine shop to take off the band and every thing worked ok.
RCBS made some re-loading dies from a couple of fired cases I sent them, loaded up and tied the rifle to a post with a Bungy cord for the first firing.
[/URL][/img] [/URL][/img]
Posted By: xausa Re: Rigby 350 Magnum. - 10/08/15 09:01 PM
Here's my .350 Rigby Magnum, created by Lon Paul, using an original Rigby slant box, stepped receiver ring Mauser action and an original Rigby Mauser stock.

Posted By: m-4 Re: Rigby 350 Magnum. - 10/08/15 09:38 PM
An original box of Factory cartridges

m4220
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Rigby 350 Magnum. - 10/09/15 06:01 AM
Originally Posted By: xausa
Here's my .350 Rigby Magnum, created by Lon Paul, using an original Rigby slant box, stepped receiver ring Mauser action and an original Rigby Mauser stock.

So what did Paul do?
Posted By: xausa Re: Rigby 350 Magnum. - 10/09/15 09:50 AM
Well, he fitted and chambered the barrel, fitted the sights, fitted the sling loops, blued the barreled action, refinished the stock, and sighted the assembled rifle in. Other than that, nothing.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Rigby 350 Magnum. - 10/09/15 02:55 PM
Lon Paul does great work, Rigby 350 Magnum is a very good cartridge that was very popular in Africa, and the data showing the ease with which .375 cases can be used is a good service. Good on everybody.
Mike
Posted By: A10ACN Re: Rigby 350 Magnum. - 10/10/15 10:58 AM
Well, he fitted and chambered the barrel, fitted the sights, fitted the sling loops, blued the barreled action, refinished the stock, and sighted the assembled rifle in. Other than that, nothing.

So, he actually did more than Rigby.....(or Jeffery, etc, etc!!) smile
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Rigby 350 Magnum. - 10/11/15 06:42 PM

Thanks for clarification. Both Paul and Rigby deserve credit for a fine rifle!
Posted By: xausa Re: Rigby 350 Magnum. - 10/12/15 07:02 PM
I suspect I should have posted this "before" photo, taken of the action with an original Rigby barrel screwed partially into the receiver and the stock in the condition in which it was received.

Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Rigby 350 Magnum. - 10/13/15 03:21 AM
Thanks xausa that tells the story much more clearly~~
Can also see the stepped receiver.

James Tucker once told me about an English shotgun stock so dark you couldn't see the 1" butt extension until the grime was removed.
Posted By: Nero Re: Rigby 350 Magnum. - 10/13/15 08:52 PM
My 350 Rigby was not a pleasant rifle to shoot which probably explains why most of these large calibres have generally survived in good condition.
Especially the ones that had stayed in England and had not been taken out into the bush.
From memory the one I had was made in 1912 and was in good condition except after I had fired about a hundred rounds through it over the years I noticed a crack had started in the wood between the magazine well and the trigger.
I sold it to Rigby's in London around twenty or so years ago who were keen to buy it and from what I was told It would appear that this is quite common in these hard recoiling rifles.
Posted By: steve white Re: Rigby 350 Magnum. - 10/28/15 02:20 AM
Beautiful rifle, and a caliber much appreciated by Pondoro Taylor.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Rigby 350 Magnum. - 10/28/15 03:14 PM
I suspect I should have posted this "before" photo, taken of the action with an original Rigby barrel screwed partially into the receiver and the stock in the condition in which it was received.

Yep, looks pretty much the same as the finished product. laugh wink
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com