doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Gary Duffey Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/17/14 10:41 PM
Everyone-
I have just been informed that we lost Michael this morning. I just visited with Terry Buffum and he had the same information as I. I am literally struck by this news. Michael called me last week after returning from consultation with his Physician and did not receive good news. He was courageous in the face of it and I am shaking at the news. He was a friend and I can pay him no higher compliment. He was a giant in our chosen field of study and interest and without equal. I will miss him greatly. I would request that we give his family privacy. I will update with any news.
Posted By: Bob Saathoff Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/17/14 11:27 PM
He will be greatly missed!!
Posted By: CJ Dawe Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/17/14 11:31 PM
Horrible sad news ,I eagerly awaited his post's every day
Posted By: SKB Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/17/14 11:32 PM
so, so sorry to hear this. I learned a lot from his posts and will miss them greatly.
Posted By: craigd Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 12:13 AM
Thanks for passing along the news. Such a patient and generous teacher. I'll miss his comments too.
Posted By: R. Glenz Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 12:16 AM
Very sad,Michael brought life to this forum and shared his vast knowledge freely.
Posted By: Joe Dobrzynski Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 12:25 AM
Gary, thank you for posting ...

Michael died this morning at the Providence Medical Center in Anchorage after fighting cancer throughout most of last year. It came back very aggressively this year. He went to the hospital last Tuesday for a stent, somewhat routine procedure, but he developed an infection. He had a lot of very complicated things happening in his body but he passed peacefully.

He was a great researcher and author of several columns in magazines as well as his two volume books on the Custom American Gunmakers. For any of you that had the opportunity to view his collection in person, it was incredible. Not just the firearms and accessories themselves, but the stories behind each gun. There was no such thing as coming over for 20mins ...

Michael will be greatly missed by many friends and families and is survived by his wife and daughter Charity.

No word on services yet ...

Respectfully ...
Joe Dobrzynski
Anchorage, Alaska
Posted By: Craigster Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 12:40 AM
He will be missed greatly.

RIP, Michael, RIP.
Posted By: Craig Havener Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 12:54 AM
What great loss of knowledge, Michael would help anyone.A very sad day!
Craig
Posted By: Poorhouse Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 12:58 AM
I was always impressed by Michael's lengthy replies to my small questions over the years. We are diminished, as they say.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 01:06 AM
Michael always sympathized with my quandry about disposing of research material. He always wondered who to give his material to so that research would be continued and preserved. I only hope that he had solved that problem before his illness consumed him. Rest in peace, MP.
Posted By: gordon g Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 01:23 AM
What a tremendous loss to us all, but especially his family.
RIP, Michael.
Posted By: Tom Davis Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 02:06 AM
Very sad and shocked to hear this, I never met him in person, only chatted back and forth via this forum and email plus several phone conversations. He was always ready to answer a question or two and provide some level headed guidance on potential purchases. He is primarily responsible for my interest in the pre war sporters. He will be greatly missed.

My condolences to his family and his friends.

-Tom
Posted By: LRF Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 02:34 AM
Very sad, we will miss him greatly
Posted By: Krag 1902 Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 02:37 AM
So,so,sad. Mike ( I knew him before he was Michael) called me last week. He said he was calling all his friends to report that he had "months, not years". I never thought he meant days. He and I met the old-fashioned way - Snail mail. He had a running ad in the Shotgun News looking for Neidner stuff.I had run across a Neidner rifle in Montana while on a bear hunt in the Spring of '83 and wrote him. I don't recall now whether he bought it, but thus began a thirty plus year long symbiotic relationship.
I met him once - we bunked together in Vegas in '02. He talked and I listened mostly. We'll never replace him.
Posted By: Norm Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 02:42 AM
Godspeed MP.
Posted By: RHD45 Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 02:46 AM
I always checked this forum first for something new from him as he always had something of interest to say.I will really miss him. I will always treasure his books that I had him sign and am glad I bought some for friends.
Posted By: WJL Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 03:32 AM
That is tragic. He has always been the soul of this site almost from the very first post. I never met him and that is my loss. Requies aeterna.

Jerry Liles
Posted By: JLouis Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 03:43 AM
A genuine Gentleman of the highest order.

I will catch up to you down the road my friend.

JLouis
Posted By: gasgunner Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 03:43 AM
Very sad day indeed. Such a wealth of knowledge and always willing to share. I will particularly miss the excitement he would show when I would call him from some gun show to discuss a find. His knowledge and enthusiasm were only matched by his generosity. So grateful to his family for allowing him to spend the amount of time he did with us.

He will be missed greatly.
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 03:44 AM
RHD45 said it for me, pretty much.

Rest In Peace, Michael Petrov, it's time to bring you home
Posted By: Thaine Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 04:04 AM
So sad that this must pass. Michael was so free with his knowledge and assistance. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Las Vegas show a couple of years ago, right after he had helped me with information on a Sauer/G&H I was looking at. The community has suffered an irreplaceable loss. However our loss is nowhere as great as his family's. My thoughts and prayers go out to them in this time of sorrow. RIP Michael Petrov.
Posted By: DanLH Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 04:41 AM
What a shock as I also got the call from Mike about "months, not years" last week. The best decision I made last year was to take my wife to Alaska last July and I got to spend a wonderful afternoon with Mike and his guns. RIP, MP
Posted By: Marc Jackson Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 05:34 AM
I'm floored. Here I was thinking that we haven't heard from him because he was on vacation or hitting the bigger gun shows in the lower 48. He was a big reason why I shifted gears with my gun collection and instrumental in my latest purchase. Always helpful and responsive to this tyro, farewell, Michael.
Posted By: A10ACN Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 06:24 AM
Devastating. No single person has added to the historical knowledge base of US gun artisans as Michael Petrov. This is a loss for all of us but also for future generations who will want to know more about a particular steel and wood functional art piece they may run across.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 06:26 AM
A great loss to his family and our community, he was one of the best of us and will be missed more than we can imagine.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Rob
Posted By: GrandView Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 06:39 AM
This saddens me greatly. I spent more time on phone calls and emails than face to face, but I'm glad to have met Michael twice........in Reno and Vegas.

He was a quality man.

Rest in peace, Michael.
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 07:04 AM
So very sad to hear this terrible news. America has lost its finest firearms researcher. Michael was so free with the information he gained. He helped me on many occasions and nothing was too much trouble. He even contacted me with encouragement when he found out I have the same problem. Thanks for all your advice, you were always helpful. You will be very much missed.

Harry
Posted By: xausa Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 01:37 PM
"Thursday, December 05, 2002 12:15 AM

Hello,

My name is Michael Petrov and I research and study pre-1940 custom rifle makers. I see that you bought the 1903 Springfield sporter on GunBroker. When you receive the rifle I would like to ask a question or two about the rifle. If you will share what you know about it I will do likewise.

It's a nice rifle and I would have bid on it but could never get a clear answer about the condition of the bore and a few other questions I had ask.

Michael Petrov / Alaska"

This was my introduction to Michael Petrov, a man I had previously known only through his erudite articles in Precision Shooting. The rifle turned out to have been made by Robert Milhoan, and I was able to supply Michael with information he had been unable to find. It was the only time this phenomenon occurred.

At the time, I had been on line for a little more than a year. Michael steered me through the world of internet gun enthusiasts in a way which avoided many of the pitfalls I would otherwise have fallen into. My debt to him is beyond calculation.

He was never too busy to answer the most basic questions I posed to him and never replied in a condescending way. Although I have been involved with guns and shooting all my life, he widened my horizons immensely.

To say that he will be missed is a vast understatement. He is irreplaceable.

Posted By: Bob Beach Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 02:00 PM
This is very sad news indeed. Michael was a tremendous resource for me in my work and I will miss him. Rest in peace, Michael.
Posted By: texraid Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 02:39 PM
This is the saddest news I have heard in a long time. He was my mentor when it came to sporting rifles. I shall miss him. Rest in peace.

Art
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 03:45 PM
I'm sitting here stunned with disbelief. Michael encouraged me several times over the last couple of years, and always took the time to be patient with my innocent questions. I shall miss him very much.
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 03:47 PM
Best wishes to Michael's family. I just had his first book in my hands last night. He will be missed.
Posted By: garyg Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 03:59 PM
It was truly a honor to have known him. Condolences to his family.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 04:59 PM
This news is heartbreaking,my condolences and prayers go to his family.There are opinions and there are proven facts.To me, his opinion was the same as a fact.Maybe he and Whitey can have a nice visit now.
Mike
Posted By: Birdog Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 05:10 PM
Condolences to his family and friends.
Rest in Peace Michael
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 05:22 PM
So sad to hear.....who will fill those shoes?
Rest in Peace Michael...
Posted By: marty weatherup Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 06:18 PM
My heart is heavy to hear this. Michael was a generous man and I am the better for having known him. He inspired me to follow through with building a 400 Whelen. I will think of him fondly every time I pick up that rifle. I will miss him.

Marty
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 07:12 PM
Best wishes to Michael's Family.

I am completely certain that he is discussing stuff with Niedner, Whelen, Owen and Howe. He probably is having a custom springfield built for him for the hunt in the happy hunting grounds.

He will be missed.

Sincerely,
Thomas
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 08:38 PM
I am so sorry to hear that we have lost another great guy. His willingness to help others was boundless. Deepest condolences to his family.
Posted By: Arctic Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 08:39 PM
I'm another that's going to miss him, and will have to find another reason to check in here daily, .....always looked forward to his postings. He was ever the gentleman to go to for advice. He called me about 15 years ago on a rifle, ....met him in Reno, and have talked since. He was an excellent researcher that set the pinnacle we all aspired to.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 09:41 PM
I'm speechless.
All I can say is I'm going to try and live my life more like Michael did...
Posted By: Idared Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/18/14 11:23 PM
Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
I'm speechless.

That makes two of us Steve, first Mark Benenson and now Michael. It's so sad to think a person will never see either one of these people at Las Vegas again.

I only met Michael a couple of times in person but was always impressed with his knowledge and his willingness to share it. I had a rifle I was planning on giving him someday but I waited to long. frown

I am also saddened that we will now never see the "coffe-table" book of all the makers in full color that Michael talked of doing someday. I had rat holed a couple hundred dollars for it in hopes it would be published some day. frown
Posted By: PeteM Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 12:32 AM
Mike was such a good man. I wish his family peace in the days to come. He reached out so often to share his knowledge. Would we could all be a bit more like him.

Pete
Posted By: Gerald A. Mele Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 01:17 AM
Very Sad, I learned so much by his posts.

To who will miss him, be glad you have your health, it is the most important thing we possess

Jerry
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 01:32 AM
Such a sad note to hear of Michael's passing. He was a great contributor here and everywhere else. I miss Joe Harz, another regular poster here not that long ago and a great personal help to me and my competition rifles. And Whitey too is missed. And there are others. So, tonight, a toast to Michael and all the others. I miss them all.

Brent
Posted By: King Brown Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 01:40 AM
I knew him only on these pages as a gentleman who lived to a high standard of human values. I googled Michael Petrov and Rifleman and Alaska to catch up on his background, thinking his family may have been one of the earliest immigrants to Alaska. There was his photo. It was all there in his face, everything I had imagined about the man.
Posted By: Herschel Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 03:55 AM
Michael was a true gentleman. Selfless and always willing to help. May he rest in peace.
Posted By: bay Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 04:58 AM
I am very saddened. I will miss his post. He was so willing to share and educate. He added a dimension to my wide gun interest. Rest in peace.

-brian
Posted By: xausa Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 02:37 PM
One of my first exchanges with Michael would seem to be of interest in the
present circumstances. I wrote:

"Well Michael,

Now I'm embarrassed. I have been a Precision Shooting subscriber since
about 1964, sticking with it through all the lean years, when it was scarcely more than a pamphlet. Of course, I have read your articles with interest and pleasure, but I just didn't make the connection.

I first came in contact with PS through Crawford Hollidge, a big name in
bench rest shooting in the 50's, one of the founding fathers, so to speak.
Through him I met such luminaries as Harvey Donaldson, Mike Walker, Warren
Page, Brunon Brunowski and others whose names escape me for the moment.
When Crawford gave up shooting, he wanted me to have some of his rifles,
and I still have them, including an elaborately engraved Model 70, barreled by
Taylor and Robbins, and engraved by John Warren, whom Crawf also
introduced me to. Because Crawf was left handed, I couldn't use his stock,
so I had it restocked by Griffin & Howe, and it is one of the favorite pieces of my modest collection.

This brings me to a subject you may have some thoughts on. None of my
three sons is interested in guns or shooting. Over the years, I have
accumulated some guns which are truly out of the ordinary, like Crawf's Model 70, and like his .219 Donaldson Wasp bench rest rifle he which he is pictured
shooting in the various articles he wrote. I feel that there should be a
repository of such rifles of historical interest other than the NRA
museum, where serious researchers could have access to them, and I would
be glad to leave such rifles that I have to such a repository. I wouldn't entrust my prized possessions to the NRA, I'm afraid.

I would appreciate any comments you might have on the subject."

Michael wrote:

"No reason to be embarrassed, can't expect people to equate Michael (no
last name) to a few articles in PS.

Years ago (30) when I first got interested in firearms research I wrote
many letters to the NRA, took me while to realize that they don't know
very much or don't have a way to look it up. They have never even
indexed the American Rifleman. At one time the gal that ran the NRA
museum when it was downtown would call me with questions about stuff
published in the American Rifleman because I had a complete collection
and she did not. Guns that I KNOW are in their collection I cannot get
info on. I would, like you, never give anything to the NRA.

What I plan for my stuff (it's in my Will) is that all my papers,
records, pictures and files will go to the Rifled Arms Historical
Society and my collection will go to auction. It this way the research
is preserved and the guns get to be enjoyed by new generations."

This message from Michael was sent in 2003 and obviously a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. I have been told that the Rifled Arms Historical Society no longer exists, so obviously this part of the information is no longer valid. My point was that Michael did not want his collection of fine rifles to end up in a museum, but in the hands of those who would appreciate the workmanship and artistry and enjoy using them. This is a sentiment I totally agree with.

Posted By: Phail Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 04:14 PM
I have known Michael for 25 plus years although never had the
Horor of meeting him face to face. We shared an interest in
earley American Shotguns especially Mullin and Schaefer. He
was always free with his knowledge. Enjoyed many conversations
Will miss this Fine Gentleman Greatly.
Bill McPhail
Posted By: waterman Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 04:22 PM
It has been two days since I read of Michael's passing. In those two days, I have come back to this forum time and again, trying to put my profound sense of loss into words.

I did not know Michael personally. We exchanged e-mails and letters. I read and learned through his postings and his writing, but my sense of loss and my appreciation for Michael's work goes far beyond that.

Each of us has those days and hours allotted to us to make of them what we will or can. Michael used his allotted time well. He leaves behind a legacy. When the clock ticks its last for each of us, how will we measure up?

Richard
Posted By: Brian Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 05:32 PM
My condolences to his family.
I corresponded with Mike a number of times and shared some photos and specs. on a between the warts custom Springfield of unknown make.
He will be missed.
Posted By: m shultz Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 06:22 PM
I am truly saddened to hear of Michael's passing. Another giant has fallen. Mori
Posted By: james-l Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 06:35 PM
Like Waterman I have struggled with a response to Michael's passing. we have exchanged emails and posting here several times, Michael was always ready to help with information. Mike rekindled my interest in prewar sporting rifles through this forum. His knowledge will be almost impossible to replace. RIP Michael.

Jim A.
Posted By: GLS Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 07:04 PM
While more of a shotgunner than a rifleman, I would often lurk here and recognized him as a man who knew what he was doing and who was generous with his knowledge and advice; in addition to his family, I am sorry for everyone here for losing such an irreplaceable fountain of knowledge and friend. Gil
Posted By: RememberBaker Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 08:36 PM
I've not logged in for some time and had no idea of his passing. Rest in peace sir.
Posted By: Terry Buffum Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 08:50 PM
I've known Michael for more than 40 years. We traded guns a bit but information much more; they were pretty lop sided trades. As many of you know, before he retired ten years ago, he worked an oil platform off Alaska. Not being inclined to play cards, he used his many off duty hours to research rifles/gun makers.

As xausa and eightbore both reported above, he wondered what to do with his research materials upon his death. The Rifled Arms Museum idea died with Mark Benenson, so that is out. I think the Cody Museum is perhaps the best repository. I hope that wish can be fulfilled.

When we last spoke less than two weeks ago, we knew he was on a steep down hill, but thought there were a few months left to finalize details. Obviously, we were wrong. I was going to send him the Zischang Borchardt .25-35 he admired from my collection to let him have 24/7 access to it, but now even that option is gone.

We have lost a good man!
Posted By: King Brown Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 08:53 PM
Richard, I think you answered your own question. You didn't know him and admired him. People tend to admire others of shared qualities.
Posted By: Wapiti Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 09:51 PM
My deepest sympathies to his wife and daughter. I shall treasure his legacy.

An admirer from his home state.
Posted By: LRF Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 10:48 PM
I think when a person passes that the most they can hope for is that sometime after they pass, in the present or future, that someone will at least remember them and think of them...the remarks, in this thread, are full filling that hope and are a tribute to Michael and the person he was.

Michael, in his work and research, honored all those wonderful riflesmiths that passed before him, that Michael and we cherish so much. If there is an after, then he is now talking to them in person.
Posted By: Ken Georgi Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/19/14 11:01 PM
I am really saddened to hear of Michael's passing. I'm struggling to write something meaningful as his passing is a shock. I knew Michael was very sick, but convinced myself that "months" somehow really meant "years".

Michael and I never met in person, but we spent a lot of time on the phone and traded many emails over the years. I often hunt with a Schaefer & Son SxS that Michael once owned and hunted. I am really glad a have that reminder of Michael. I hadn't thought about that gun in quite that way before. I like thinking there is a connection to a friend.

Michael didn't know me from Adam when I first wrote to him years ago. He took the time to write a detailed response and included photos of catalog information. I was blown away with both the depth of his knowledge as well as how open he was about what he didn't really know. There was a humility in his response that really struck me.

I will really miss talking to Michael. Rest in Peace.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/20/14 02:33 AM
I imagine that, for a lot of us, it is hard to find words to say what we feel. I am going to try. The phrase "gentleman and a scholar" certainly describes Michael. It was a pleasure to have corresponded with him. Right after Christmas, he sent me a copy
of his latest book as a way of saying thanks for helping him find some rifles over the years. He didn't have to do that, but he did.
I asked him to autograph it to my now 11 month old son, which he did. On a whim, at the beginning of this month, I sent him a link to a video of my son playing with our golden retriever. Michael wrote:

"Fred,

That's so cool, ever kid should grow up with a dog.
Regards,

Michael"

When my son is old enough, I will give him the book, I will tell him about Michael and let him read the e-mails.

I'd like to think that right now he is the company of all the great gunsmiths that he wrote about, and that he got to meet
S-Man and was right about his identity. And Whitey is there too, smile.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/21/14 12:53 AM
I'm sad too. He certainly had a deep love for fine arms and for others who shared a kindred spirit as evidenced by his deep generosity with and his willingness to pass on his vast knowledge. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet this man who now seems almost larger than life.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/21/14 03:26 PM
MP and I have had discussions about the passing on of research material and the fate of the Rifled Arms Historical Association. I remember his frustration about this subject, which parallels my frustration. We can only hope that "Volume 3" of Michael's book is published with whatever he has completed to date.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Worst News - Michael Petrov - 02/25/14 05:33 PM
I don't spend much time on this forum any longer and just saw this post. What a tremendous loss to those who read MP's posts on various forums.

I had the pleasure of meeting Michael in Las Vegas a few years ago where he brought me an item that went with a rifle I had purchased. I never expected to meet a roughneck!

RIP Michael
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com