doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Gary Duffey .276 Dubiel - 01/11/14 04:52 PM
I am looking for rifles, articles, photos, loading data and tools, cartridge drawings and anything related to the .276 Dubiel for an upcoming project. I appreciate any information that you may have. More to come.
Posted By: Wapiti Re: .276 Dubiel - 01/12/14 06:31 AM
Gary,
"Wildcat Cartridges" by Richard F.Simmons 1947)has some info that may be familiar if you have Michael's Vol.2, and Handloader #119 has a brief article by Ken Waters.
Good luck with the project- would love to see your chrono results!

Good shooting.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: .276 Dubiel - 01/12/14 07:07 PM
Gary,

There is a lot on the .276 in "Practical Dope on the Big Bores" by Ness.

Seems I have a large file on the .280 but very little on the .276.
Posted By: Gary Duffey Re: .276 Dubiel - 07/11/14 12:08 AM
I wanted to update you guys on where I am on my .276 Dubiel project. Firstly it has morphed into "projects". You fellows understand this. I will begin where I hope to end up and I have two of the three pieces of my project in motion. We have a reamer, dies, lots of heavy long bullets and two of the three rifles that I hope to end up having side by side. A few years (6) back a friend brought a Springfield to me with no real knowledge of what it was and I grabbed it up. Springfield '03, low number, original bolt jacked up, but other than that pretty straight marked "rebarelled by Griffin & Howe, New York, NY", in .25 Roberts, with double set triggers, Kornbrath floor plate with the early "Griffin & Howe" banner engraved at the hinge end of the floorplate in a Shelhamer stock that is the nicest wood I have ever seen on a pre-war rifle. Turns out someone had run an Improved reamer in it and I just set it aside to do other things. In the time since I have been fortunate to acquire a few of examples of Dubiel's work and had spent lots of time on the phone with Michael in the months prior to his death talking through this project idea, particularly while he was recuperating for a period. I will copycat MP at his suggestion and rebarrel Pre-64 FW M70 with a low comb stock with a 26" and chamber in .276 Dubiel with this same reamer while some restoration work and rebarreling is going on the Springfield. I just weeks ago located a Dubiel, Mauser actioned in .276 that I hope to buy. I hope there is interest because I would like to do a couple of things. 1. Share the project as it evolves here with you fine folks. 2. When I hopefully have all three rifles I hope to try to compose an article and explore the rifles and the cartridge today with modern powders. To many this is a waste of time because of this antique cartridge and I am by no means attempting to resurrect it. I am just doing it because I want to, I can, and I think it will be fun. All comments appreciated and as I have data, rifle, reloading, etc. I will post. Best to you all....
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: .276 Dubiel - 07/11/14 05:50 AM
Just keep the project moving along, and document it as you go. Should be very interesting
There may be an online magazine appearing later this year that might be just the place for an in depth article such a your suggest.

We will surely be interested.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: .276 Dubiel - 07/11/14 11:21 AM
Gary, as someone that has yet to really catch up to the 20th century yet (never mind the 21st), can you explain what the .276 Dubiel is? Is it particularly powerful or built for heavier than normal bullets, or something else?
Posted By: Gary Duffey Re: .276 Dubiel - 07/11/14 01:00 PM
Brent-

I continue to look and find information on the .276 Dubiel albeit sparse. This is somewhat puzzling as the cartridge was loaded commercially by Winchester for a short time. I have a few original rounds and the case measures 2.466". It is a shorted .275 - .300 H&H for discussion. I have an article referencing Griffin & Howe "improved" the cartridge in 1939. I do not have and example of the G&H Improved version but would love to measure one for grins. The two original rifles I have seen both had 1-9" twist and that is how I will barrel the two that I am putting together. The goal at the time seems to have been to put a cartridge & rifle together in a standard action that could reach out with high S.D. bullets and buck wind. Charles Askins Sr. was involved in the early development and used it quite a bit. In appearance it is a short .300 H&H. The .276 uses .284 diameter bullets while the .280 Dubiel on the full length .300 H&H uses .288 diameter. I will be using nothing lighter than 160 grain bullets and mostly 175 grain. I expect case capacity to be between the .280 Remington and the 7mm Remington Magnum. I hope to have fun with this.
Posted By: SKB Re: .276 Dubiel - 07/11/14 02:37 PM
Sounds like a neat cartridge and one I know very little about. Long heavy bullets are right up my alley taste wise. I'm building a 6.5/06 on an '03 and have set it up with fast twist and a long throat for shooting 160 gr bullets. Neat stuff and I am eager to follow your builds and load development progress.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: .276 Dubiel - 07/11/14 03:25 PM
It does sound interesting. In these days of super fast and light, I think the heavy bullet is still a solution to a lot of situations (all of mine actually). And of course, "fast" for me is like 1500 fps. smile

Have fun pioneering mostly unknown ground.

Brent
Posted By: Gary Duffey Re: .276 Dubiel - 07/11/14 04:14 PM
Here is the link to the slideshow of the pictures:

.276 Dubiel Slideshow
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: .276 Dubiel - 07/12/14 04:19 AM
That is a beautiful stock,
Nice tool box too.
Posted By: redoak Re: .276 Dubiel - 07/13/14 02:03 AM
Gorgeous rifle!

Any idea what triggerguard was used?
Posted By: Newton 1131 Re: .276 Dubiel - 07/13/14 02:46 PM
The triggers look like they are from a Newton, Gary can we see a picture of them out of the stock?
Steve I agree, that is a nice toolbox,seems like I saw one just like it not to long ago. Dan.

Posted By: SDH-MT Re: .276 Dubiel - 07/14/14 01:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Newton 1131
The triggers look like they are from a Newton, Gary can we see a picture of them out of the stock?
Steve I agree, that is a nice toolbox,seems like I saw one just like it not to long ago. Dan.

…on the end of my workbench.
Posted By: PeteM Re: .276 Dubiel - 07/14/14 03:03 AM
http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10331

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6917248/12

I am surprised to find any info about this widlcat... I am sure if Mike was around, he could tell us what size shoes Dubiel wore.

Pete
Posted By: Gary Duffey Re: .276 Dubiel - 07/14/14 08:01 PM
Here's a link to the slideshow of DST:

DST Springfield

You cannot see the method of attachment between the trigger guard and the magazine box in my photo. The work has Niedner all over it.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: .276 Dubiel - 07/14/14 08:31 PM
Occasionally things come along that elevate & redefine my concept of "nice work".

That Springfield 03 trigger guard & floorplate assembly w/ double set triggers certainly qualifies as one of those occasions.
Posted By: Gary Duffey Re: .276 Dubiel - 07/14/14 09:23 PM
Does the link to the photos work as well for everyone as posting here on the forum site?

The Model 70 ships out in a few days for its barrel, same length and taper as the Springfield barrel. If anyone stumbles on a few WTC Co. (researching that company has stumped us all), .284 dia. bullets please let me know, I will take them. My next decision on the Springfield is to use a G&H side mount or a Unertl on top with blocks. I get it both ways, I just have not made up my mind. I will put Talley's on the M70 and can swap back and forth between a few fixed power Leupold's and a 4X or 6X for hunting.
Posted By: Newton 1131 Re: .276 Dubiel - 07/15/14 02:51 AM
Yep, those are Newton triggers and I bet they work great. The craftsman who fit them did a good job of reshaping the guard by removing the " squareness" of the Newton shape. Gary, does the guard still have the serial numbers on it? Nice rifle, congrats!!!

I wonder where the floor-plate release idea for the Model 70 came from? Dan.
Posted By: Gary Duffey Re: .276 Dubiel - 07/15/14 11:59 AM
Thanks to everyone for the input. When you pull it apart it screams Niedner work. It has met someone since who did not know how to select a screwdriver but that can be fixed. I am most happy about the stock not having any problems and it has dodged "proper" bedding all these years and it still takes some care to pull it from the stock. I hope to have correctly head stamped brass before hunting season but if not I will have to make some. In any case I hope to hunt with the M70 this fall. We will see. Scoping dilemma goes on.
Posted By: LMEND Re: .276 Dubiel - 09/12/14 01:37 AM
I have a G&H 276 Dubiel on a Springfield action built March 1937, rifle is 90 percent. I also reload for the rifle as I have an original set of dies from G&H purchased in 1969. beautiful wood and great craftsmanship. This is a very rare rifle. The rifle is extremely accurate as I shoot mostly 150grn 7mm bullets on neck downed 300 H&H cases with standard rile primers, loading data can be found in the "Complete Guide to Hand loading by Philip B. Sharpe, copyright 1937 and 1941 by Funk & Wagnalls Company, Supplemental Chapter 1, Page 68. I also have an original book. I would like to trade notes.

Larry
Posted By: LMEND Re: .276 Dubiel - 09/12/14 01:37 AM
I have a G&H 276 Dubiel on a Springfield action built March 1937, rifle is 90 percent. I also reload for the rifle as I have an original set of dies from G&H purchased in 1969. beautiful wood and great craftsmanship. This is a very rare rifle. The rifle is extremely accurate as I shoot mostly 150grn 7mm bullets on neck downed 300 H&H cases with standard rile primers, loading data can be found in the "Complete Guide to Hand loading by Philip B. Sharpe, copyright 1937 and 1941 by Funk & Wagnalls Company, Supplemental Chapter 1, Page 68. I also have an original book. I would like to trade notes.

Larry
Posted By: Gary Duffey Re: .276 Dubiel - 09/13/14 01:15 AM
Larry,
I am sure that I am not the only one who would like to see a few pictures of your rifle. I am glad you have shared with us. I hope to have the Model 70 going soon and I will report here first. Hunting season is going to slow me some.

Gary
Posted By: Gary Duffey Re: .276 Dubiel - 09/17/14 04:23 PM
http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q676/garyduffey1/September038_zpscced7276.jpg
Posted By: Gary Duffey Re: .276 Dubiel - 06/29/15 09:27 PM
Everyone- A quick update on the project. Bolt corrected, barrel profiled and fitted, front sight mounted, action screws replaced, and holes are no more. I wrestled with scoping issues for a bit and in January my friend Nathan solved that problem while we visited at the Dallas Safari Club convention. Michael had given him either a prototype or simply an in-the-white Niedner sidemount complete with rings, which he gave to me as a gift. Dilema over. More to come.
Posted By: burrodan Re: .276 Dubiel - 03/13/17 02:43 AM
Howdy, New here.....
I have a Win model 54 in 276 dubiel mag. Would you know anything about this? Thanks
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com