doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tom Davis Krag sight question - 01/09/13 01:01 PM
Is this sight also a Rice sight? The ears that hold the adjustment screws look to be machined and not part of a stamping like the other Rice sights I have seen. Is this sight common or an oddity? Thanks, Tom

[img:left]http://s286.beta.photobucket.com/user/thom_davis/library/Krag%20Sight[/img]
Posted By: xausa Re: Krag sight question - 01/09/13 02:55 PM
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Krag sight question - 01/09/13 07:03 PM
Over the years I have seen a few Rice Type sights all different. It looks like someone copied the Rice with their own refinements.
Posted By: Tom Davis Re: Krag sight question - 01/09/13 07:26 PM
Thanks for help posting the photo. An interesting sight. What are people thoughts on which is the best Krag sight? I ask as I have a new to me Krag sporter on its way with what appears to be the Pacific receiver sight that does not require adding new mounting holes. Are there any issues with this sight?

-Tom
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Krag sight question - 01/09/13 07:40 PM
Tom,

The issue with most Krag receiver sights is the sight has to be raised or removed to remove the bolt for cleaning.

Some have an small adjustment screw that limits the downward adjustment so this can be set and the sight replaced to the same place.

My own Krag has a Rice that I like a lot because it's back by the eye and I can remove the bolt without messing up the sight setting. If I was building a Krag sporter I would put a Lyman bolt peep on it. I like those as well, many don't.
Posted By: Krag 1902 Re: Krag sight question - 01/09/13 07:56 PM
I use a Redfield 102 on my sporter and like it. Since there is a need to remove the slide every time I want to clean/inspect the bore, I find myself neglecting this. In thirty years, I have not changed the hundred yard zero, so the slide goes back to the same place every time.
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Krag sight question - 01/09/13 10:16 PM
Having used a Pacific sight years ago on a Krag sporter, I can attest to its efficiency. Removing it periodically to give the bore a good cleaning was never an issue. So what if I had to re-sight in? "Darn it, now I have to go the range again!"

The Rice sight is intriguing but I like to swap out apertures (or use a Merit disc) to meet the challenges of different lighting. The sight pictured here (which I'll guess is craftsman made) negates that with its screw-in aperture.

Like Michael, I would opt for a Lyman 103 cocking knob sight too- if price were no object. As it were, the sight I opted for on my current Krag project is a NIB Lyman 48.
Posted By: Tom Davis Re: Krag sight question - 01/10/13 03:10 AM
I seem to recall reading or hearing about accuracy with the Lyman 103 being subject to bolt wiggle. Is this not an issue with the Krag, or not really a problem at all? I've never shot one although they sure look preaty neat.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Krag sight question - 01/10/13 08:18 PM
Many early rifles that used a bolt peep used pins or screws on the bottom of bolt shroud so everything was tight as the bolt closed.

I took my heavy barreled 06 Niedner to the range one day shot a group with the Lyman 48 removed that and tried both Lyman 103 and Lyman No. 1 bolt peep. They all shot to different spots as would be expected but the group size were all about the same.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Krag sight question - 01/10/13 08:42 PM
This Kirkwood has the pins, the sight is a Rigby style made by Niedner.

Posted By: Tom Davis Re: Krag sight question - 01/11/13 02:28 AM
Michael,

Thats a interesting looking sight! I'd enjoy any close up photos of it if you have them. Out of curiosity, what does a Lyman 103 sell for?

Tom
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Krag sight question - 01/11/13 06:43 PM
Tom,

It's a good copy of the Rigby sight, I think they are still being made by someone in the states.

I've not seen a 103 for some time but suspect over $300 these days.

Posted By: xausa Re: Krag sight question - 01/11/13 10:55 PM
For the reproduction Rigby sights contact Robert Zimmerman at rusty42marlin@yahoo.com.
Posted By: RJH Re: Krag sight question - 01/12/13 12:17 AM
There's also this gentleman

http://www.gun-shop.biz/id44.html
Posted By: Tom Davis Re: Krag sight question - 01/13/13 12:01 PM
Thanks for the responses - a lot of good information. Any prefered Krag hunting loads out there? From asking on other boards H4350 and 180 gr Hornady RN seems popular. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Tom
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com