doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: james-l Was this what it looked like? - 09/06/12 05:18 PM
I almost bid on this but there were some things that did'nt look right, the trigger guard and the sights. The stock appears to be G&H???

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11227141
Posted By: GrandView Re: Was this what it looked like? - 09/06/12 10:18 PM
Everything about the stock says Griffin & Howe.......grip, cheek piece, checkering.

My guess would be a Sauer commercial Mauser restocked and scope mount added by Griffin & Howe.
Posted By: Alvin Linden Re: Was this what it looked like? - 09/07/12 02:57 PM
James: Jerry here, the front sight does not look right for G&H but the winner of the auction is Lucite, which is Monte Mandarino and HE KNOWS!!! So if it isn't G&H ORIGINAL METAL, WHICH I DON'T BELIEVE IT IS I concur with my Learned Brother GrandView and say it is a G&H restock with a G&H scope mount either on there earlier, or added at the time of the restock. I wouldn't be at all surprised, if we didn't see this rifle show up as a recent acquisition of one of our VERY regular contributors!!! JAMES HOPE THE SPRINGFIELD IS COMING ALONG FINE! HTH Jerry
Posted By: james-l Re: Was this what it looked like? - 09/07/12 04:12 PM
Jerry, thats what I thought also, strange that they used the military guard or at least did/nt do something about the screws. It must have been rebarreled at the same time, notice the engraved caliber on it. Everythimg together on the Springfield, just need the time to finish it.

Jim A.
Posted By: xausa Re: Was this what it looked like? - 09/07/12 07:53 PM
Peculiar, we have a very high scope mount, designed to clear an unaltered bolt and allow use of the receiver sight, but that is a feature of pre-WW II rifles, and the mount is not pre-WW II. Also there is the Lyman 57 receiver sight, which doesn't belong on a high grade rifle, and what appears to be a Williams' ramp. A strange combination of elegant and pedestrian features.

A trip back to G&H to have the bolt altered, the scope lowered, and a Lyman 48 receiver sight and a G&H banded ramp installed would make a world of difference in both the appearance and the utility of the rifle. Oh, yes, the bottom metal needs to be changed out, as well.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com