doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: J.D.Steele for Martini Cadet lovers - 08/11/09 06:01 PM
Just thought some of you folks might like to see what wandered into my shop the other day.

What's that you say? You say that you can't see anything much that's so unusual about this little action? Well, how about these other views?

This is the lowest-numbered commercial Francotte Cadet I've ever seen. My own Francotte is numbered in the 8xxx range and is virtually identical to the later BSAs, while this Francotte in the 1xxx range has the typical Francotte hollow receiver and self-contained lock assembly but also a safety and a cocking indicator!

This little action will become a custom rifle in due time, and I'm seeking other Francotte Cadet actions for the same purpose.

So, whaddayagot?
Regards, Joe
Posted By: Remington40x Re: for Martini Cadet lovers - 08/11/09 07:54 PM
What a delightful find. Do you have a project in mind for this? It really should be something special to take advantage of a fairly unusual gem. Perhaps something to be finished with a bit of scratching by Mr. Hurst or Mr. Hands?
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: for Martini Cadet lovers - 08/11/09 11:06 PM
This little jewel actually belongs to a friend who wants some sort of custom rifle, and right now we're maneuvering to see whether he ends up with it or I end up with it. In either case it will be a very special custom, and right offhand I can't think of anyone better than the 2 engravers you named!

Present plans call for a 219 Zipper chamber and long round med-wt Shilen bbl with quarter-rib. Wood is still up in the air but I have some nice Claro as well as California English, so we'll see. Other desirable chamberings (for me) would include 25-35 AI and 7-30 Waters since I already have a Zipper or 2. Have also been considering the 17 Fireball Rimmed.

Wish I could find some more Francotte Cadets, I had one originally made for the Victorian Government (Oz) in the 1880s but in a moment of weakness I let The Infamous Engraver trade me out of it.
Regards, Joe
Posted By: whitey Re: for Martini Cadet lovers - 08/12/09 01:23 AM
Joe for some reason.That action looks like one I seen before. Whitey
Posted By: Remington40x Re: for Martini Cadet lovers - 08/12/09 01:44 AM
You have to watch out for the famous engraver with the initials of KH. He traded me out of a Martini Cadet .218 Bee, in return for which he engraved a small frame Greener rimfire .22 that Brian Burgin built for me. However, to be honest, I really do think I got the better end of that deal, although I'd love to have that .218 back in the vault.
Posted By: Mike Armstrong Re: for Martini Cadet lovers - 08/12/09 02:04 AM
Looks like a miniature Martini-Henry to me; very cool.
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: for Martini Cadet lovers - 08/12/09 02:29 AM
Whitey, somehow I'm not surprised (G). I'm still trying to figure out what I can offer you in exchange for it, but whichever of us ends up with it, I hope it'll be a keeper!

Rem40X, I also have succumbed to the wiles of The Famous Engraver KH, he has some of my stuff too.

The Infamous Engraver OTOH is another fellow entirely, named Ben Shelor. He's an old runnin' buddy of KH's and a splendid fellow in his own right but he's had several strokes recently and is not doing too well right now. He's a Cadet lover and a very nice fellow under his crusty exterior, and he has my prayers for whatever they're worth.
Regards, Joe
Posted By: whitey Re: for Martini Cadet lovers - 08/12/09 02:56 AM
Joe as you know I feel the same as you about our friend Ben.It's just too bad that more people don't know what is under that crusty exterior.Both he and you are great people. Who help alot of us gun nuts getting nothing except a thanks (from some) for your effort.
I for sure will be praying for Ben. Whitey
Posted By: The Double D Re: for Martini Cadet lovers - 08/12/09 04:16 AM
To me it looks like someone heavily modified a Rimfire action to centerfire then cut the wall for a cocking indicator and Greener style safety.

You have the action to look at and all I can see is the pictures, but it looks a bit crude. Is that a Francotte action or a modified BSA thick side.

It is interesting.
Posted By: whitey Re: for Martini Cadet lovers - 08/12/09 04:31 AM
No the man I got it from got two of them while stationed in England. One a 22 the other in 310. Both in rook rifles with fancy stocks etc. Then a few years ago converted it to a 357. I do have some pictures of the stock before I broke it. I also hope to own the other someday but it took a year to get this one
and I am now 73.Smile Whitey
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: for Martini Cadet lovers - 08/12/09 11:22 AM
The action is an original Francotte, all matching #s in the 1xxx range, and it's commercial all the way. The little side boss where the cocking indicator mounts is INTEGRAL with the trigger guard unit, not an add-on. The polished surface on the outside of the action is old but impeccably flat. I've seen a lotta Cadets but this is the only one like this I've ever even heard about. It's definitely a curiousity and IMO well worth the effort to make it into something even more special!
Regards, Joe
Posted By: The Double D Re: for Martini Cadet lovers - 08/12/09 02:07 PM
Thanks Joe, like I said you got the metal I get the pixels. There just seems to be no end to the modifications of this design.
Posted By: martinibelgian Re: for Martini Cadet lovers - 08/12/09 05:03 PM
This variation is definitely kosher - I've seen a few like it before (very few, actually), and it definitely is a Francotte variant. I have a large sporting action with safety, but the 'normal' Francotte cocking indicator. Think I once put up a pic on this site... The safety lever was removed and the hole plugged, though, and I still haven't made any progress in getting a new safety lever made.
Posted By: mkbenenson Re: for Martini Cadet lovers - 08/13/09 12:43 AM
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=136453337

another Francotte Martini
Posted By: whitey Re: for Martini Cadet lovers - 08/13/09 01:39 AM
Thanks for the Emails and the PM's on ASSRA (must have some ASSRA members here also and that is great) Offering to relieve me of this odd ball action. But it will be a Keeper for me or my friend Joe. But thanks for the interest. Whitey
Posted By: MichaelJ Re: for Martini Cadet lovers - 08/14/09 02:14 AM
Whitey,
One of those blanks I sent you sure would look nice on that gun. I'm thinking that English one done like a classic stalking rifle.

Michael J

PS Making the first trip out your way this week household stuff first and then shop in about 3 weeks. Already found a little shop to rent about 6 miles from the school.
Posted By: whitey Re: for Martini Cadet lovers - 08/14/09 02:43 AM
Hi Michael make sure and let me know when you get settled.
Yes one of them would look great. But I think the one you are refering too.Will go on a special M Whiteyarlin take down. If I ever get too that project. But Joe and I are still in the planing stages.Smile.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com