doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Michael Petrov Taking Firearm Pictures - 11/21/08 09:37 PM
I’ve had several emails asking about how I take pictures. My camera is a Nikon digital SLR D70s with a 60mm Micro. All pictures are shot using my old Bogen tripod, the camera is on manual I’ve never shot a single picture in automatic. All pictures are shot using the timer, hands off the camera or tripod. I am now using four, ECA 250 watt 3200K lights reflected off two half round sheet metal reflectors that I had made at the sheet metal shop. The inside surface is painted with a flat white paint, the top light is defused and the bottom not. Both lighting sets are on a rheostat. I have modified a camera tripod to take different size (caliber) polished steel rods and the rifle is held in the vertical position. Behind the tripod is a pull down flat white window shade that I can roll up when not using. I have hung a white sheet on the ceiling loosely with it pined over the center of the tripod to better defuse the light. The camera stays on the tripod and I remove the memory card and plug that into the reader connected to my computer.

Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Taking Firearm Pictures - 11/21/08 09:52 PM
The raw picture as it comes from the camera.

I’ve cropped the picture and cut the tripod out of the picture.

I now add background color if needed using Photoshop.

Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Taking Firearm Pictures - 11/22/08 12:30 AM
Mike,

I don't pretend to take photos as good as yours, I have a 5 year old "prosumer" Canon G3 which gets the job done for the internet. I use a Mac and have an old copy of Photoshop and a good friend on cal who has made a living for 25 years photographing shiny things (tableware, glassware, etc,).

I just wanted to let you know that my camera came with a program called Remote Capture, I have it set up on an old iMac dedicated for photos. The camera is on the tripod, a cable from the camera to the iMac computer. All functions are controlled at the keyboard, including all manual settings, zoom, macro, white balance, aperture, shutter speed, stops and the shutter. There is a viewfinder image on the computer screen. The image is downloaded directly onto my hard drive with a preview so I can re-shoot immediately if necessary. the only thing you need to touch the camera for is aiming.

I know that there are professional programs that do this (my friend uses one) and I don't know if Canon's Remote Capture can be used with other camera's but it certainly is worth a try.

Something you might want to look into. A lot easier than using a timer and a card reader.

Rob
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Taking Firearm Pictures - 11/22/08 12:41 AM
Rob, Those are nice clear pictures and look nice. The remote Capture sounds interesting if my computer was anywhere near the camera. I do have a lap-top and I have a cable to connect the camera to the computer but have not tried it. I shoot pictures about the same way I did with my old SLR shooting B&W, run off a bunch and pick the best. I've been experimenting with lower light and very-long exposure to capture the grain of the wood better, not sure if I'm just fooling myself or not but they look better to me.

SDH, If you have the time your input would be most welcome on this subject.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Taking Firearm Pictures - 11/22/08 02:56 AM
As I said on the stain thread, I've been off hunting...
Rob, you pics are good, good tip on the old Imac, which I have.
Any time you can get the rifle off of the background you will eliminate shadows. More later, I just got back today. Here' a pic of me & my set-up as taken by a Billings Gazette staffer, Larry Mayer, a real pro photogapher.

Here's a link to the newspaper story.
Gunmaker Story
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Taking Firearm Pictures - 12/07/08 09:22 PM
Another thing that I should say is that the room I take the pictures in has overhead florescent lights and if I forget and leave them on the pictures never look right. Just a little thing but does make a difference.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Taking Firearm Pictures - 12/09/08 02:06 AM
Hey Mike, I got the Sprfld sight base today! THANKS!

I burned all of my email and addresses last week so anyone wanting to get email from me should please send me one. It was a totally bonehead move and entirely my own fault.
Much appreciated,
Steve
sdh at montana.net

Florescent turn everything green, but if I leave one on in the far back, it will make the blue tones really pop!
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Taking Firearm Pictures - 08/10/11 05:58 PM
This is the one I found, if anyone has questions, ask.

Another thread,

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...=true#Post91946

Posted By: eightbore Re: Taking Firearm Pictures - 08/10/11 10:04 PM
Thanks, Michael.
Posted By: Bushmaster Re: Taking Firearm Pictures - 08/11/11 02:28 AM
All I have is a real simple Casio pocket camera.

But if I shoot outdoors and get the right angle while holding still I sometimes get a good shot:

Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Taking Firearm Pictures - 08/11/11 03:46 AM
Looks like a .357 Magnum Pre-27, 5" Great revolver but maybe not so great photo. Needs more depth of field...
Try f-22, a tripod and slow shutter. You would be better off shooting straight on.
Clarity before artsy...
Posted By: Bushmaster Re: Taking Firearm Pictures - 08/12/11 01:18 AM
No fancy stuff but these pictures with the same cheap camera are better

Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Taking Firearm Pictures - 08/12/11 04:19 AM
They are better, but you are still stretching the field of view and the ends are not in focus...
Posted By: Craig Libhart Re: Taking Firearm Pictures - 08/12/11 12:55 PM
Steve or Michael:
Have either of you had any experience with one of those translucent "tents" that completely surround the subject to diffuse the light evenly? I have a pair of soft-box lights, but they still leave a strip of glare no matter how I position them; thinking the "tent" idea might have some merit, but wanted some solid opinions from pros before spending the moolah. Thank you.

Craig Libhart
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Taking Firearm Pictures - 08/12/11 05:07 PM
Craig, I used a homemade one years ago but found my set-up better for what I want. They can work just fine there is just a lot of stuff (tent) in the way.
I used gauge like curtain material..
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Taking Firearm Pictures - 08/12/11 10:30 PM
Craig,

I made a tent using a parachute and tried that but no better than what I'm using now.

I have everything set up and it just takes a few minuets before I can start shooting pictures. My camera stays on the tripod and is covered when not in use. I just need to select and install the right caliber rod.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Taking Firearm Pictures - 08/13/11 04:21 AM
I have a "cube" I use for small objects, works well for that purpose. I can a handgun in mine.

http://www.ezcube.com/
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com