doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: mauserdad Old shotgun help,please. - 07/31/07 11:28 AM
Someone just gave me a old single barrel shotgun. On left side of receiver it has ACME. On top of barrel it has Davenport Arms. Appears to be a 10 Ga. Need help with history,what kind of ammo to shoot and source of possible parts. Thanks in advance. Ed
Posted By: PeteM Re: Old shotgun help,please. - 08/01/07 02:04 AM
Davenport Arms Co of Rhode Island existed from 1880 to 1884. Their assets were purchased by the Bay State Arms Co of MA. and William Davenport was hired by them. William Davenport filed several patents while working for them. Unfortunately, many of their products were over priced. They ceased operations in 1887. Their assets were purchased by Hopkins and Allen. William Davenport left Hopkins and Allen in 1890. With some business partners, including his brother Walton, he formed the W. H. Davenport Firearms Co. In 1904 William died. The company ceased operations in 1909. Hopkins and Allen purchased their assets at that time. They also hired Walton Davenport.

Given that is a Davenport Arms single shot, I would only fire black powder rounds in a gun like this after I had a gunsmith look it over. The only source for parts would be to purchase another one.

In "Boy's Single Shot Rifles", Grant devotes a chapter to Bay State - Hopkins Allen - Davenport. In "American Boy's Rifles 1890-1945" Jim Perkins devotes a chapter to Davenport rifles.

Pete
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com