doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: eltren Sling? - 08/23/18 06:04 PM
What if any difference should exist between a sling for a bolt action and a double rifle?

Last year I imported a Sarasqueta in .303 Brit, and am planning on hunting the living daylights out of it this year. Meaning I need a sling. The rifle has quite conventional
swivels.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Sling? - 08/23/18 08:24 PM
eltren,
I suggest a "Quick shortening sling"( as see on German guns), as a carrying strap. A "shooting sling" will likely cause shifts in POI for a double rifle. Stay away from the big "Cobra" type slings or heavy slings with ammo loops, etc.
Mike
Posted By: eltren Re: Sling? - 08/24/18 06:15 PM
Thanks. No one else?
Posted By: Huvius Re: Sling? - 08/24/18 09:17 PM
I assume the "shooting sling" which Der Ami is referring to is a sling that you strap around your elbow as to stabilize the rifle when shooting. Sort of military offhand style.
I agree that this use can goof with your accuracy on a double but you won't really know how much until you try it with your rifle.
Generally, a sling on a double is for carrying not shooting.
I suspect that this is why so many original heavy doubles came with wide canvas strap slings.
Every double rifle I own or have owned has had sling swivels - I'm thinking they are there for a reason.
Posted By: crs Re: Sling? - 08/25/18 02:46 AM
Every double rifle I own or have owned has had sling swivels - I'm thinking they are there for a reason.

+1
Posted By: eltren Re: Sling? - 08/26/18 12:19 AM
Nice. Oh here's a goodlooking one!

https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/shop/canvas-sling/

A hundred pounds. For canvas.

Sheesh.
Posted By: Huvius Re: Sling? - 08/26/18 01:23 PM
Here's an alternative.
I don't have a Jeff's Outfitters sling but do have a couple cases and they are good for the money.

http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/SLING1000...p;categoryid=62
Posted By: SKB Re: Sling? - 08/26/18 01:29 PM
The leather Rigby sling is less money than the canvas model.....go figure.
Posted By: crs Re: Sling? - 08/30/18 07:19 PM
Last year, a Texas based holster company began making and selling canvas and leather slings for $30 which is about 1/2 the price of similar Trader Keith slings. I liked the deal and bought two from a distributor in SoCal because they sold them for less than other outlets.
I am happy with them and can not tell them from much higher priced slings. The canvas seems to fold into a smaller space than an all leather sling and fits better in my rifle take down cases.
Went to buy a couple for gifts and guess what, the maker has dropped them from his offerings. ???
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Sling? - 08/31/18 02:00 PM
I used the canvas Jeff's Outfitters sling in Africa for two weeks. I was happy with it and bought several more for other rifles.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com