doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SXS 40 Paradox load ? - 02/09/17 07:08 AM

I am looking for suggestions for a target (light) load for a 12 bore Paradox gun, built in 1892. It is a back action side lock hammer gun.

Anyone know of a commercially available load?

Thanks
Posted By: SKB Re: Paradox load ? - 02/09/17 11:19 AM
This is the commercial ammo I know of

http://www.classicshooting.com/collections/nitro-paradox-ammunition-for-h-h-guns
Posted By: Mike Rowe Re: Paradox load ? - 02/09/17 01:16 PM
Assuming your Paradox is a double, there's probably only one load that will work. It is a rare double that shoots a separate light target load, and a heavier hunting load, satisfactorily.
Posted By: JBG Re: Paradox load ? - 02/09/17 11:12 PM
My experience has been that most of the time a double rifle will shoot a bullet that weighs approximately 75% of the weight of its regulated bullet weight to the same poi over the same charge of powder.

It's worked for me in the following calibers:
500/450
450/400 3"
450/400 3 1/4

For example, in my 500/450 Holland. I shoot a 350 gr Hornady RN to the same poi as the Woodleigh 480gr soft over the same charge of Rel 15.

My 450/400 Jeffrey shoots the Hornady .411 300gr bullet to the same poi as the 400 gr Woodleigh soft over the same charge of IMR 4831.

When I got my Paradox and found the load that regulated well I stuck with it. I don't find the Paradox difficult to shoot, even from the bench since the slug doesn't engage the rifling until the last inch or so of the barrel.

Unless of course, I misunderstand your question and you are asking about a target shotshell load.
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Paradox load ? - 02/10/17 01:31 AM

Thank you for the replies. The reason I am asking is, I will be attending a SXS shoot, where we will be shooting paper big game silhouette targets for score. There is no need to shoot full charge loads, as the paper targets will not be charging through the bush and I prefer to save my shoulder the abuse.

Thanks
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com