doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: claycrusher1900 Muzzle loading double rifles - 05/11/16 01:19 AM
Good evening gents! I am considering buying a sxs muzzle loading rifle for use in the muzzle loading only deer season here in MI. I have zero fancy for the modern inlines, nor for single barrel rifles. I have long been a fancier of English double shotguns, and so a double rifle has an appeal to me, especially those with similar designs to the double shotguns. From pursuing the gun auction sites, it seems that the ML double rifles are less common then their shotgun equivalents, and vastly more expensive. I am however just learning about them. The only one I have found that is old and under $4,000 is on gunbroker, but its a un named one proved in Birmingham for $2,300. Is that to be expected? Un named shotguns would be decidedly under $1,000 and many known names, such as I. Hollis, can still be had for under $1,000. Are rifles really that much more or is it simply what happens to be for sale at the present moment?

It would also seem that ML cape guns are just as high, even more expensive then their cartridge cousins.

Any does anyone have the Summer 1998 edition of the DGJ? From the index in the most recent DGJ, it would seem that there was an article on muzzle loading double rifles in that edition. I was wondering if it focused just on one rifle, or had useful info on all ML doubles. I would enjoy learning what I can, even if I don't purchase one right away.

Thank you in advance for any insight on the twisted (rifled) side of doubles!
Posted By: Lorne Re: Muzzle loading double rifles - 05/12/16 03:10 PM
Can't speak for Michigan, but in Vermont muzzle loader season in single shot only, so no double rifles.

I have opinions on your other questions (double rifles are expensive, and there are less of them), but no real comparable data.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Muzzle loading double rifles - 05/12/16 03:51 PM
For the last thirty years at least the rifles have been significantly more expensive than the shotguns. The near exception has been top quality samples in exceptional condition where prices can be fairly close. Even there, rifles tend to bring more. At least two factors are involved. First, the rifles are far less common. Second, I think they involved more expense to produce. Nowadays the best source for finding a good percussion double rifle is probably the major sporting arms auctions. They don't appear often on the open market. As an aside, I'll point out British rifles were often built to shoot a belted ball or another specialized bullet, and the rifles are often separated from their moulds. From experience with two doubles made for belted ball, I can say both shot quite well with round balls. Good luck with your search.
Posted By: claycrusher1900 Re: Muzzle loading double rifles - 05/12/16 04:07 PM
Thank you gentlemen! I was guessing the value was due to there being fewer but I wanted to check. There are a couple options out there, and even a really nice priced double 30-06.... so many options!
Posted By: SKB Re: Muzzle loading double rifles - 05/15/16 01:08 PM
Another factor in my mind is demand. I myself am much more inclined to grab a muzzle loading rifle in pursuit game than a muzzle loading shotgun. I like the challenge of getting close to big game to make the shot. I like single barrel rifles better than double rifles but do appreciate a nice double. The fact that for some odd reason Colorado law prohibits the use of doubles for hunting during muzzle loader season does make them less desirable here. If you really want one be patient, they do show up occasionally.
Posted By: David Re: Muzzle loading double rifles - 05/27/16 05:39 AM
I seem to recall an old DGJ article about an African plains game hunt with a Davide Pedersoli .58 muzzle loading double rifle.
Posted By: Rick W Re: Muzzle loading double rifles - 06/05/16 01:24 AM
The NMLRA holds a Muzzleloading Double Rifle Match on the first Sunday afternoon of the week long shoot.
There will be vintage as well as reproductions. Total shots for score is about 24.
Posted By: Msalm Re: Muzzle loading double rifles - 06/24/16 04:05 AM
I have a Joseph Lang and Sons double rifle I hunted with last season and I think you're on a good course...it was a hoot. My rifle was inherited from an uncle that love the old muzzleloader a and this one was in a pretty sorry state when he got it. He disassembled the works, repaired a broken stick, fitted new wood, replaced missing bits, and then re-rifled the bores and re-soldered and regulated the rifle. It ended up at .76 caliber when the rifling finally cleaned up with something like a 1-110" twist. Shoots 700 gr patched round balls with 110gr of old DuPont black powder to point of aim at 60 yards and the flip up leaf sights allow for 100, 150, and 200 yards although I've only shot it to 100. You might consider a quality percussion shotgun that you could build a set of replacement barrels for it too...just a thought.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Muzzle loading double rifles - 06/24/16 01:06 PM
Here is another Joseph Lang. I shot deer with it (one with each barrel) and then decided that I really had no need for two barrels in a deer rifle and eventually sold it. It was a great gun but just not really useful and I spent more time unloading the unfired barrel than I ever wanted to and really never needed it to back up the first barrel.

Posted By: Demonwolf444 Re: Muzzle loading double rifles - 06/26/16 11:57 AM
thank you for sharing those pictures its good to know there are still percussion rifles seeing active service! How did it group? shame you sold it its probably hanging on a wall somewhere now frown
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Muzzle loading double rifles - 06/26/16 02:20 PM
I am sure it still hunts. IT was about 3" @100 yards for 4 shots using both barrels.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Muzzle loading double rifles - 06/30/16 07:16 PM
Steve Barnett has what looks like a good British double, a Kennedy. The price doesn't seem so bad.
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Muzzle loading double rifles - 08/01/16 02:22 AM
No, no, it would gather dust and all manner of detritus if I had it hanging on the wall. It's standing wrapped in its protective cotton sleeving, tucked away in safe number 2 at the moment.

Unfortunately, I can't hunt deer with it in the state where I live because for some asinine reason we're restricted to one barrel during the "Primitive Hunting" season. I asked the local constabulary if I could use it to hunt during the regular hunting season, in which one can indeed use a blackpowder rifle in. The answer was still "NO" because it had two barrels, which is completely thick, seeing as everyone else can use their pumps and semi-autos.

Ah well. I'm sure all this foolishness will finally be gotten rid of once Hillary takes hold of this country.

postscript: I do get chance to shoot it at various ranges, and I must say I love this rifle very, very much.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Muzzle loading double rifles - 08/01/16 12:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
I asked the local constabulary if I could use it to hunt during the regular hunting season, in which one can indeed use a blackpowder rifle in. The answer was still "NO" because it had two barrels,.

I would ask for a second opinion. And I would ask it of someone that has some legal expertise, not the "local constabulary," who quite possibly, knows nothing about such details.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com