doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: kyleray82 lawn & alder 450/400 3 1/4 inch - 11/03/13 05:07 AM
Hi guys
I have been give this rifle from my grandfather.
But iv been tring to find out more info on it but cant find any. Do you guys know anything about it or know where I could find info on it.

Regards

Kyle
Posted By: AkMike1 Re: lawn & alder 450/400 3 1/4 inch - 11/03/13 06:11 AM
Can you post some detailed pictures of it including all the markings under the barrels and the receiver?
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: lawn & alder 450/400 3 1/4 inch - 11/03/13 06:16 AM
I suspect a small retailer as I can't find them in any of my books. Neither Boothroyd or British Gunmakers lists them.
Posted By: AkMike1 Re: lawn & alder 450/400 3 1/4 inch - 11/03/13 06:29 AM
I found them in Vol 3, British Gunmakers, page 73. But not much information.
Posted By: kyleray82 Re: lawn & alder 450/400 3 1/4 inch - 11/03/13 07:48 AM
Im not sure how to put up photos as I dont have my own website I only have a few photos of it for a couple of year back. Its in storage at Holland and holland in London they couldnt find me any info. I live in kenya and am try to import back to me.
My grandfather got it of a friend of his. Apparently there was two of them made for two brothers but the other one we dont know where it is. I got the serial number will that help to find oit more?

Thank for your help guys
Posted By: AkMike1 Re: lawn & alder 450/400 3 1/4 inch - 11/03/13 04:01 PM
There are 3 serial numbers listed in the book. Slim chance that'd be any help.
Photo's are easy if they are already stored at Photobucket.

But like Mike said it appears that Lawn and Alder were retailers and not the makers. It was very common to put your name on a weapon if you were the seller. Most were 'sourced' weapons from the tradesmen. Today we have no solid idea who those gents were. Just hints. Many of the records have been lost in time.
Posted By: PeteM Re: lawn & alder 450/400 3 1/4 inch - 11/03/13 04:36 PM
This is the most I can come up with.

Lawn & Alder Ltd
Brackley Street, Golden Lane
Cross Street and Kirby Street, Hatton Garden

The firm sold shotgun cartridges under the name "The L & A".

As others have said, they appear to be retailers that operated around 1900.

The appear to have specialized in supplying various trips and expeditions.

From one of their ads:
Whether you reside in the Arctic or the Antarctic, the Temperate or the Torrid Zones, your shopping difficulties can be solved by the House of Lawn and Alder. No matter what your need may be, a tropical suit, household goods, a silver trophy or...

They supplied Fredrick Selous in 1908.

Pete
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: lawn & alder 450/400 3 1/4 inch - 11/03/13 05:19 PM
Must have been good. I doubt that Fredick would have went to someone that was dodgy to outfit.
Posted By: WildCattle Re: lawn & alder 450/400 3 1/4 inch - 11/04/13 07:50 PM
I think I can recall one for sale in the last 5 years by Kirby (vintage doubles) IIRC.
I believe it was a side bolstered boxlock, such as the ones from Osborne.
Said Osborne is supposed to have provided these guns, or at least the actions to other retailers such as Lancaster and Alex Henry...
Lawn and Alder was more than likely a retailer only.
If you google it, you come on a thread on this very forum.
Best regards,
WC-
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: lawn & alder 450/400 3 1/4 inch - 01/15/14 09:50 AM
At one time Eley Bros in England made shotgun cartridges in almost any colour and with the retailers name and address on them. Provided you ordered a certain number of cases of ammo a year they would supply anybody. The only guide to the manufacture was their name on the brass base of the cartridge. I used to own several 12 bore cartridges marked up as Bagnall & Kirkwood, Westgate Road Newcastle upon Tyne (Formally Pape, Gun and fishing tackle makers.) The name of the retailer was to imply that the dealer was also the manufacturer. A common practice long ago.

Harry
Posted By: cpa Re: lawn & alder 450/400 3 1/4 inch - 01/16/14 01:05 AM
kyleray82 - please see your PM
I believe Lawn & Alder was a retailer who sold guns made by the gun trade. All I have seen referenced appear to have been made by Charles Osborne.
Posted By: jack steenson Re: lawn & alder 450/400 3 1/4 inch - 01/07/15 04:50 AM
if you want good load data get the book: Shooting the British Double
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com