doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bamboozler Glue to glue on a rubber recoil pad? - 04/13/19 11:04 AM
The type of rubber recoil pad that I am considering installing on my gun requires that it be glued on. What would be the proper glue to use?
Posted By: SamW Re: Glue to glue on a rubber recoil pad? - 04/14/19 01:20 PM
Bam, looks like that is a stumper of a question. I have no experience with your specific question but I do know that 3M makes a black adhesive for attaching weather stripping to painted metal car bodies. I have used that and it works well. It is something you might try on a sample piece.
Posted By: Mark II Re: Glue to glue on a rubber recoil pad? - 04/14/19 07:05 PM
Goat Tuff archery glue works well for things that receive shock
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Glue to glue on a rubber recoil pad? - 04/15/19 04:34 PM
Thank you for your suggestions Sam and Mark, I've also been recommended Pliobond. On the packaging of Pliobond is printed that it's good for both rubber and wood.
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/...ckId=2662837187
What type pad is it, that "requires" that it be glued on and not screwed on? Just trying to learn.

SRH
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Glue to glue on a rubber recoil pad? - 04/16/19 02:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan
What type pad is it, that "requires" that it be glued on and not screwed on? Just trying to learn.

SRH

I have a Perazzi Comp 1 Skeet that now has a Kick-Eez pad installed. That pad needs to be replaced. I want the gun to be as it came from the factory, so I figure I might as well go with the real McCoy. I e-mailed Giacomo Sporting in New York to find out what pad Perazzi put on this gun originally. Shown below is the factory original pad, supplied to Perazzi by Pachmayr, and is to be glued on. I understand that all Perazzi guns come from the factory with glued on pads.

Posted By: Craigster Re: Glue to glue on a rubber recoil pad? - 04/16/19 04:26 AM
Why don't you ask Giacomo or Pacmayer or Perrazi ?
Thanks, WS. I've shot Perazzi guns for 15 years, but never bought a new one, so I didn't know Perazzi glued on all their pads.

SRH
Is the Perazzi stock attached with a draw bolt? Wouldn't this demand a pad that is screwed on?
Karl
Originally Posted By: Karl Graebner
Is the Perazzi stock attached with a draw bolt? Wouldn't this demand a pad that is screwed on?
Karl

Perazzi does indeed glue their recoil pads on. Factory installed Perazzi pads (& checkered butts) have a hole in the face so that the stock removal tool can reach the drawbolt w/o removing the pad.

A Perazzi owners manual I have from an MX8 of approximately 1990 vintage recommends Bostick glue for installing a replacement recoil pad.
Brittany,
Thanks for the clarification on that, I didn't understand he concept and figured that stock removal had to be possible.
Karl
Having worked on Perazzi guns for many years, I can tell you the early guns had pads that were glued on with a heat sensitive glue, I would lighty scribe around the pad so as to not lift stock finish and then place just the pad in a pan of just off the boil water to soften the glue. A thin knife then gently removed the pad. These pads were predominately Pachmayr trap pad, with the screen surface. When off it just needed screws to reattach. today I would attach the new pad with screws in blind holes and epoxy glue if you wish . Just don't let any squirt out of the joint. Perazzi glued the pad as a labor saver, and then sanded the stock and pad together for fit.
Evidently, none of my second hand P guns had the original pads. Evidently as well, P gun owners must be inveterate tinkerers.

Interesting thread.

SRH
Posted By: gunman Re: Glue to glue on a rubber recoil pad? - 04/19/19 01:12 PM
Most impact adhesives will do the job .
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com