doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PhysDoc Menck grip cap question - 02/07/19 01:46 AM
I've been seeing these on ebay, and wonder how they attach to a stock.
They look nice, has anyone here put one on a stock? If so, please tell me more.

Menck grip cap
Posted By: Craigster Re: Menck grip cap question - 02/07/19 04:43 AM
They are "blanks". Drill/countersink hole/holes as necessary.
Posted By: Kutter Re: Menck grip cap question - 02/07/19 02:57 PM
The one in that link is missing the other piece of hardware that came with them when they were sold new.
It was a threaded insert that you installed in the wood. That was already threaded inside for that allen stud that you see on the back side of the cap.
The cap then screwed down onto the flat surface of the grip tightly.

You adjusted the timing or clocking of the cap to come out right by small adj to the allen screw stud.
IIRC the instructions recommended a coating of shellac on the final instal to seal the cap in place.
You could turn these down very tightly and tap them to final position with a small block of wood w/o damaging anything. They didn't come loose. But could still be removed the same way if needed.

Here's one with the instruct and insert.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792515648
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Menck grip cap question - 02/07/19 03:33 PM
Hi Kutter

Thanks for the explanation and the link

PhysDoc
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Menck grip cap question - 02/13/19 04:39 AM
Is this the same Tom Menck from Omaha, Nebraska? I think his shop was actually in Ralston. If it is...he did some work for me on a Darne in the early 2000’s. I think he was just about to retire then. Cool shop, he had a lot of machines and he was pretty organized. I heard from other guys that he was a pretty talented Gunsmith in his heyday. I remember him telling me that he worked at Pachmayrs for a lot of years.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Menck grip cap question - 02/14/19 12:02 PM
Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Is this the same Tom Menck from Omaha, Nebraska? I think his shop was actually in Ralston. If it is...he did some work for me on a Darne in the early 2000’s. I think he was just about to retire then. Cool shop, he had a lot of machines and he was pretty organized. I heard from other guys that he was a pretty talented Gunsmith in his heyday. I remember him telling me that he worked at Pachmayrs for a lot of years.

Yes, this is. Unfortunately, he has passed away.

newspaper article
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com