doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Run With The Fox Off Topic- well, sort of!! - 01/29/19 10:41 PM
Just wondering- how many of your gents on the DGS site have ever watched any of the Midway Gunsmithing videos on U-tube, with the apparent owner, Larry Potterfield as host? Anyone care to comment? Thanks RWTF
Posted By: Mark II Re: Off Topic- well, sort of!! - 01/29/19 11:08 PM
Only the dvd with the late Jack Rowe. Mr. Potterfield is a great salesman he probably couldn't make a living as a gunsmith. jmho
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Off Topic- well, sort of!! - 01/30/19 12:29 AM
I wondered about that a bit. I had the late Jack Rowe, when he was affiliated with Champlin Arms, if memory serves, strip, clean and lube the M21 my late father gave me in 1980. I just saw a video where Mr. Potterfield takes an early M21- 12 gauge field gun with DT and pg stock, and "convert" the stock to a straight hand grip.

I am by no means a gunsmith- but I do know a thing or two about welding, especially TIG--

I saw him take the trigger guard for a pg stock, and weld on a tang extension to extend it or the proper fit to a straight hand butt-stock. his welding job left a large bead way above the surface of both pieces being joined, that tells me this: (1) No grind or bevel on the face of the joints- about 1/3 to full thickness, to allow for penetration into the joint to fill the root, (2) slightly lower input amperage (heat) and possibly improper polarity setting o the machine-and finally: (3)Usage of a larger dia. of filler rod than the joint size needs, thus causing large beads on the top of the cap pass. but no real penetration into the joint--

Now, we are talking mild steel- not heat treated, and there is little stress on the trigger guard bow when the gun is assembled, but it just didn't look right to me--Granted, he filed the excess bead off, but that's just making extra steps in what should have been a simple downhand TIG weld.

Anybody else that TIG welds gun parts care to look, and comment, I would gladly welcome your feedback- RWTF
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: Off Topic- well, sort of!! - 01/30/19 05:22 PM
They’ve helped me from time to time for the acquisition of some basic stuff.

The Jack Rowe segments are better with Potterfield than the Brownrll’s versions, IMHO, because you can hear what Jack says better.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com