doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bill Graham Lefever forend diagram needed - 11/13/18 05:16 AM
I’ve an early Lefever apart for sometime. It’s done, and needs to be reassembled and passed on to another owner. I’ve misplaced the pictures I took of how the push button forend parts are oriented, and I’m stumped.

If you’ve got any images of how these pieces go back together, I would very much appreciate taking a look.

Thank you.
Posted By: gunny Re: Lefever forend diagram needed - 11/13/18 05:03 PM
Bill I know you like to do things yourself but in this case I think you should just send it to Buck Hamlin he is the best!
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: Lefever forend diagram needed - 11/14/18 05:39 PM
Originally Posted By: gunny
Bill I know you like to do things yourself but in this case I think you should just send it to Buck Hamlin he is the best!

Yes Sir, I do like to sort things out myself if I can. I learn more that way.

After a few iterations, I figured it out last night. The gun is back together, looking good, and will be listed here for sale once I take its measurements.
Posted By: keith Re: Lefever forend diagram needed - 11/15/18 08:41 PM
I saw your before and after pics in your For Sale listing here. Nice work! It would be great if you get time to do the ferric chloride etch to bring out the contrast in the Damascus before the sale is completed.

I was a little disappointed in the suggestion that you should send the disassembled forearm iron to Buck Hamlin, even though he is a great double gunsmith. This is, after all, a Do-It-Yourself- Gunsmithing Forum. We all need to recognize that there will be jobs that are best left to a professional who has the tools and experience for certain jobs. We all need to know our own limitations and understand that sometimes, you just can't beat a bricklayer at his trade. Even many of the pros realize this, and farm certain things out, or refuse the work. But basic reassembly isn't rocket science, and there is little chance of doing permanent damage unless you are so ham-fisted that it should be against the law for you to touch a screwdriver. In this case, you were smart enough to take picture during disassembly, but just misplaced those images when it came time to reassemble.

That's a good lesson for all of us, because sometimes, there will be some period of time to forget things before we get around to completing a job. Notes, drawings, and photos can be as helpful as owning proper tools.
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: Lefever forend diagram needed - 11/15/18 08:55 PM
Thank you for your words, Keith. I would like to for the pattern to display as well. Bit overwhelmed with the contents of my plate right now, so it may have to stay like it is for the next person to address.

Thanks again. Take care.
Posted By: Travis S Re: Lefever forend diagram needed - 11/20/18 02:40 PM
I second Keith's comments. I am a hunter first but the enjoyment I get when I hunt using something I have brought back to life is tremendous. I am learning lots and doing it on projects that if I totally screw up I have at least broke even by the knowledge of what not to do next time.

So far I have not totally screwed up. It is bound to happen though.

Keep learning. Looks like you are well on your way in the journey.

Great job on the shotgun.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com