doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: goosedowner Need to reblue my SKB - 11/05/18 10:14 PM
I need suggestions on where to send my SKB 200 to get reblued. Would like reasonably priced and does a decent job.
Posted By: redoak Re: Need to reblue my SKB - 11/07/18 03:49 AM
It is my understanding that some were blued and some of the early ones were what Ithaca/SKB called "black chrome". It might make a difference what kind your gun has.
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Need to reblue my SKB - 11/11/18 01:46 AM
You could try a spot of vinegar where it won't show up to determine if it's blacked or black chrome.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Need to reblue my SKB - 11/11/18 03:23 AM
Don't know if mine is an "early one" or not, but it is definitely blued. I have another shotgun that is black chromed, and the finishes look nothing alike. Should be easy for you to tell which it is.

Blued Ithaca SKB 200E

SRH
Posted By: Gerald A. Mele Re: Need to reblue my SKB - 11/17/18 05:19 AM
Mine, labeled an Ithaca is a model 100 black chromed. Would love a suggestion on what to do
Posted By: mark Re: Need to reblue my SKB - 11/18/18 04:59 AM
Usually the black chrome ones don't get rusty and don't need restoration . I did have one that had lots of scratches through the chrome so I plugged the bores and stripped the barrels with muriatic acid(best done out doors) then polished and rust blued. Stripping with acid is a smelly nasty process. I gotta believe the fumes can't be good for you!
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Need to reblue my SKB - 12/10/18 05:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
Don't know if mine is an "early one" or not, but it is definitely blued. I have another shotgun that is black chromed, and the finishes look nothing alike. Should be easy for you to tell which it is.

Blued Ithaca SKB 200E

SRH

Ithaca-SKB black chrome finish is entirely different from the black chrome finishes you see on the fairly modern Turkish and cheaper Italian offerings. The Ithaca-SKB finish is very velvety with a very attractive sheen.
I’ve owned 4 Ithaca SKB 100’s and 1 200E. All of them were black chromed.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Need to reblue my SKB - 12/10/18 09:18 PM
Maybe mine is too, Dustin. How can I really tell?

How does the vinegar test work?

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com