doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RARiddell Loose rib question - 06/02/18 11:20 AM
So I finally got one! I heated it and the moisture out

A few quick questions

1. The gun isn't worth a rib relay, so is there anything I can use to seal some of the spacing in the solder?

2. The water that did drain out was clear, so I dont think there is any rust issues, would it be permissible to get some oil under the rib to help protect the barrels between the ribs to inhibit any rust that may form?

Thanks
Rick
Posted By: SKB Re: Loose rib question - 06/02/18 01:19 PM
You can do a spot repair. I find anything other than solder will cause you more problems down the road.
Posted By: mark Re: Loose rib question - 06/02/18 02:04 PM
Is the rib loose, moves independent of barrel or does it just leak?
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Loose rib question - 06/02/18 06:06 PM
Just three areas where it bubbled during washing, and then when heated bubbled out, the barrels have muffled ring to them when tapped.
Posted By: Mark II Re: Loose rib question - 06/02/18 08:42 PM
No oil, it will mess up any rust bluing attempts. If you try to re-do the spots, wire and wedge the whole barrel as if you were doing a full relay, otherwise you'll get a leak someplace else.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Loose rib question - 06/03/18 12:50 PM
Thanks guys that might be the ticket!
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Loose rib question - 06/03/18 04:54 PM
You could also leave it be. You woukd be surprised how many original unaltered barrel sets have small voids in the solder joints.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Loose rib question - 06/04/18 11:21 AM
Hey Brian, yes that is definitely an option I might soak it again and brown them, or if I want to chance it again get a deep blue, but water is involved, I dont want to torch it again to get the water out, is there a way to use the oven at a certain temp/time to get the moisture out without loosening the solder?
Posted By: james-l Re: Loose rib question - 06/04/18 03:47 PM
Duh! Water boils at 212f at sea level, solder melts at a much higher temp.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Loose rib question - 06/04/18 03:55 PM
Ha Ha nice! Duh is right! Just being cautious!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com