doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Greener stock removal - 04/16/18 02:51 AM
I need to take the wood off to repair a crack in the stock. This is not an Anson box lock. Can someone offer information about how to proceed?
Posted By: skeettx Re: Greener stock removal - 04/16/18 02:56 AM
Hammer or not?
Shotgun or rifle?
Pictures would really help
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Greener stock removal - 04/16/18 03:20 PM
This is a hammerless shotgun on the Facile Priceps action. It appears the top lever screw may hold the trigger plate in place.
Posted By: Blue Grouse Re: Greener stock removal - 04/17/18 05:54 AM
Most Greener's have only 2 pins (screws) that hold the trigger plate on.
First step is to remove the trigger guard.
Second step is to remove the cover plate.
Third step is to remove the pin that attaches the trigger plate to the bottom of the action (in front of the triggers). On some models there are 2 pins but usually there is just a stud that protrudes from the bottom of the action if front of the pin.
Fourth step is to remove the breech pin (the one under the top lever). This is made easier by inserting something into the slot that accommodates the cross bolt which then holds the top lever out of the way while you remove the pin.
There is usually no hand pin on Greener actions so there is one less thing to remove.
Fifth step is to remove the trigger plate by pulling and gently wiggling on the triggers. You may also insert a punch through the hole that the hand pin was in and give it a gentle tap to free the trigger plate. Be careful not to damage the threads at the bottom of the hole. Once the trigger plate is free (it pulls straight out), you can remove the action from the stock.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Greener stock removal - 04/17/18 02:46 PM
Blue Grouse, Thank you for your detailed reply. It is very helpful.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Greener stock removal - 04/17/18 02:48 PM
Blue Grouse, Thank you for your detailed reply. I'm still puzzled though because there is no pin beneath the top lever.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Greener stock removal - 04/17/18 02:49 PM
I'll thank you too. I have a Greener on the way and I suspect it has a crack in head of the buttstock too. I had no idea it was so complicated to remove the stock on a Greener.
Posted By: Blue Grouse Re: Greener stock removal - 04/17/18 03:37 PM
Hi Bill,
Well, I am at a total loss if there is no breech pin!
The normal configuration is for the breech pin (this is the largest screw in the gun) to go through the top tang and into a pillar which is integral with the trigger plate. This is the only pin that goes through the stock and essentially clamps the stock between the top tang and the trigger plate. I have taken many apart and fixed a few hairline cracks with CA glue and have had to glass bed a few due to wood shrinkage. Because there is no hand pin (this is a pin that goes from the trigger plate into the under side of the top tang) the Greener actions seem to be very prone to wiggling due to the wood shrinking. That is to say, there is only one screw to grip the action and not two...
The only other way (that I can envision) to hold the trigger plate on the stock would be a pin which runs from the trigger plate up into the underside of the top tang, similar to how the hand pin works.

Do you have the trigger guard off the gun?
Pictures would really help!
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Greener stock removal - 04/17/18 04:02 PM
Blue Grouse, It's a little embarrassing but funny,too, to report that I saw no top lever screw because when I pushed the lever over, my thumb covered it up. Having found the obvious, I should be able to proceed. Thanks again for some real help.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com