doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: HeymSR20 Cleaning up an old gun - 04/12/18 10:51 AM
Gentlemen,

I am looking to give an old gun a bit of tender loving care. Its covered in lots of old grimy greesy waxy gunk. Its not going to be restored, rather just cleaned up.

Stock - i have read that a little surgical spirit gentle applied will pull out the worst of the grime. But there is still a good stock finish a little warm soapy water perhaps.

As regards the action, similar treatment to above or a hot water. I have read that some actually boil an action to remove the grime. Would an ultrasound cleaner also work?

Thanks for advice.
Posted By: builder Re: Cleaning up an old gun - 04/12/18 11:47 AM
An ultrasound cleaner will work if you have one large enough for the action. I wonder if you can clean the action sufficiently without taking it apart using the ultrasound machine then blow out the water followed by lubrication.
Posted By: Bibbyman Re: Cleaning up an old gun - 04/12/18 06:32 PM
I've use Murphy's Oil and rubbed down with burlap on wood. Copper wool and Hoppe's #9 on exterior metal. I have cleaned up actions on old doubles by using Simple Green in hot water ultrasonic cleaner. Sprayed insides will Rem oil.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Cleaning up an old gun - 04/15/18 05:18 PM
I use Simple Green and non-sudsing ammonia in my ultrasound, works wonders. I rinse in boiling water to get the metal hot enough to evaporate any residual water and then submerge in ATF, wipe down. ....
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com