doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Dying epoxy - 01/28/18 12:02 PM
It's been so many years since I used any of the old formula Acraglas (not the gel) that I can't remember anything much about the consistency or color of it. I want to try my hand at filling in some small gouges on a stock I'm refinishing. I've seen pics of work Dewey V. has done this way that is absolutely undetectable. The trick is to dye it to as near the color of the stained/finished wood as possible.

Question ...............is the old formula Acraglas better for this kind of repair? Does it dry clearer? My Acraglas Gel dries with a yellow look. Or, is there another brand/type epoxy that would be better?

Thanks, SRH
Posted By: SKB Re: Dying epoxy - 01/28/18 02:20 PM
The liquid dries much more clear than the gel. Additionally you can tint the finish in the location of the repair to hide it. The clear AG does end up with a stronger shine than an oil finish.
Posted By: Byrddog Re: Dying epoxy - 01/28/18 03:31 PM
Epoxys can be tinted with food color. artists oil color or powdered pigments. A cyclo-aliphatic epoxy wont yellow like the acraglass does.Loctite 2 ton epoxy is such a product. to thicken epoxy Cabosil or talk is good.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Dying epoxy - 01/28/18 07:07 PM
Thanks much. I thought I remembered the Acraglas being clearer than the gel, but needed confirmation.

Steve, these holes/gouges will be filled now, before any staining or finishing is done, so I will be able to put the oil finish right over it. I've never tried this, but I think my best chance of hiding it is to dye the Acraglas, allow it to cure, finish it down and sand it in, then stain the stock just enough to closely match the color of the epoxy repairs. Then, with the finish going over it all, it should blend in well. I've been told it is easy to get the epoxy too dark, so use the dye very sparingly.

Byrddog, thanks for the recommendation on the Loctite epoxy. I'll get some and experiment with it before ordering the Acraglas original formula.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Dying epoxy - 02/20/18 11:08 AM
Just a followup -- I got some of the Loctite 2 Ton epoxy in the twin tubed syringe, and found some brown powdered pigment I had already. It works like a charm ..........easy to mix very small amounts, perfectly clear, and always at the right 50:50 ratio. It also sanded down nicely to the surrounding wood. One thing I would mention is to try not to introduce air bubbles into the epoxy as you're mixing the two components. When you sand it down it will have tiny voids, which will end up as pits. It's hard not to do that, but just be aware and stir slowly.

Thanks, Byrddog, again.

SRH
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Dying epoxy - 03/08/18 04:42 PM
Byrddog,
when thickening epoxy with talk,are there certain power words,or subjects that are more potent? smile
All in good fun mate
franc
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Dying epoxy - 03/09/18 08:02 PM
Laurel Mtn Forge stains work well with Acra Glas.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com