doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: liverwort Ithaca NID tang screw? - 12/09/17 04:14 PM
Hello. I need some advice. I have a NID that had a broken tang screw when I bought it. I purchased a new one.This screw has a taper to the threads. To install it correctly I will have to put considerable force on the stock and action to align the channel and holes. I am thinking the original may have broken due to stress after installation. (?) I have installed a straight machine screw and the stock seems solid but there is a slight gap (.025 approx)at the top where the stock should meet the action. The tapered screw would fill the channel through the stock that the machine screw does not. Would an absence of support in the channel possibly cause eventual damage? If I use the required force to install the tapered screw is it going to break again due to stress?
As I write this I see it is a convoluted question I am asking so I'll stop and wait for your advice. Thank you.
Posted By: SKB Re: Ithaca NID tang screw? - 12/09/17 04:39 PM
You need for the stock to snug up tightly. If it is loose even a little it will crack. Your new screw should be made of mild steel and case hardened after fitting it up. The center will be ductile while the outside is hard. As to if you have too much tension on the screw/stock fit I can not say. It needs to be tight but not overly so. Hope that was helpful.
Steve
Posted By: liverwort Re: Ithaca NID tang screw? - 12/09/17 04:52 PM
Thank you very much! I will install the proper screw.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com