doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bill Graham Solder black - 12/04/17 03:05 PM
Finished bluing a barrel, and have thin solder lines visible along the ribs that need to be blackened. I have used Brownell's products for this application before, but do not have any on hand, or a week to wait for shipment.

Any other solution you folks have had success with to blacken solder?
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Solder black - 12/04/17 05:12 PM
For a quick but temporary solution, try a black China Marker.
Mike
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Solder black - 12/04/17 07:03 PM
Why the rush?
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: Solder black - 12/04/17 07:03 PM
Hunting season I suppose.
Posted By: damascus Re: Solder black - 12/04/17 07:51 PM
Short and to the point "Black and Blue India Ink" for a mix of the two to get the right colour. Buy good quality Ink, when it is dry it is Water and Oil proof lasts a very long time. You can also use the black ink to bring out a guns engraving rather than purchasing more or less the same thing at a lot higher price under another name.
Appy quickley with a small soft artists brush, Try to do the aplication between the rib and the barrels in one quick brush stroke. Then follow straight away with a clean cloth wraped around your index finger to remove the excess ink before it dries.
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: Solder black - 12/09/17 03:58 PM
Learned that Brownell’s soft solder black will damage black oxide. From my limited, and frustrating experience, O/U’s are more difficult than they’re worth to finish; much more so than sxs’s.
Posted By: mark Re: Solder black - 12/09/17 06:10 PM
Most solder black won't darken silver barring soft solder like force 44.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com