doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Geo. Newbern How to cock Southgate ejectors? - 08/06/17 07:44 PM
The fore end fell off my Browning Bss Sidelock after ejecting two fired shells. The ejector hammers are in the fired position (rear) protruding above the fore end metal. The position prevents the fore end from being re-attached to the gun because the protruding hammers prevent the fore end iron from fitting far enough into to hinge to allow the barrel lug to fit into the slot.

How do I re-cock them with the fore end off the barrel?...Geo
Posted By: SKB Re: How to cock Southgate ejectors? - 08/06/17 07:52 PM
Geo,
hold the fore end in one hand and use a hardwood dowel to push each ejector hammer towards the front(muzzle). One at a time makes the job easier. Best regards,
Steve
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: How to cock Southgate ejectors? - 08/06/17 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: SKB
Geo,
hold the fore end in one hand and use a hardwood dowel to push each ejector hammer towards the front(muzzle). One at a time makes the job easier. Best regards,
Steve

Thanks Steve. Not strong enough. How about a thin wrench to provide leverage?...Geo
Posted By: SKB Re: How to cock Southgate ejectors? - 08/06/17 08:02 PM
I often use the edge of a wooden work bench, press straight down using your weight. A single hammer is much easier than both at once. Careful it does not slip off and damage your wood. A wrench would scare me.
Steve
Posted By: mark Re: How to cock Southgate ejectors? - 08/06/17 09:35 PM
Try snapping the 4end on the barrels and pushing the ejector plate back one at a time.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: How to cock Southgate ejectors? - 08/06/17 09:41 PM
Many thanks to Steve and Mark for the advice. I got it done as Steve suggested by pushing the ejector hammers back one at a time.
I used a brass punch with a stout handle for better control. Stronger than I thought I was...Geo
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: How to cock Southgate ejectors? - 08/07/17 12:41 AM
I do it like Steve said on the edge of a workbench. Even though it takes more effort I can usually do both at the same time easier than one at a time on a corner of the bench.

Glad you got it, Geo. Next question is ........... why did the forend fall off?

SRH
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: How to cock Southgate ejectors? - 08/07/17 11:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan

Glad you got it, Geo. Next question is ........... why did the forend fall off?

SRH

Because I didn't put it on right. While I was working on it yesterday I took out the Anson plunger and cleaned some goop off of it and swabbed out the barrel it fits in. It had been binding and the latch was not retracting over the barrel lug as it should. Smoothed everything out and it works like a champ now. Doves are in big trouble...Geo

Yes, when I unscrewed the detente on the end of the plunger, it and the spring hit the wall on the other side of the room. A gun smith i ain't!
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: How to cock Southgate ejectors? - 08/07/17 12:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
I do it like Steve said on the edge of a workbench. SRH

I tried the edge of my wife's kitchen table. I hope she does not find the little piece I broke off...Geo
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com