doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bonny stock problem - 06/18/17 08:19 PM
I was given a nice laminated steel barreled, sidelock non-ejector a while ago. One thing that immediately struck me was the locks appeared to be curved along their length, front to back.

What appears to have happened was some happy idiot decided to "refinish" the stock, had sanded the tar out of it, especially around the head of the stock and then the sidelocks stood proud of the woodwork by about 1.5mm at the back.

To then solve this mess they removed wood inside the head of the stock so the lock could fit flush again. This in turn lead to the locks bending and causing mechanical issues with the action.

I don't have the spare cash to buy a blank and have the gun restocked at the moment, though i do plan to have it done at some stage. So was wondering if i was to glue some similarly coloured walnut to the sides of the head of the stock and allow the locks to fit in their original position, would this look like a bodge/mess ?

I just want to get to use the gun for a bit before i take the expensive plunge of restocking.

What do you think ?

Posted By: skeettx Re: stock problem - 06/18/17 10:02 PM
Anything to make the shotgun safe and useful would be good.

The gun is now not usable by you and you can treat if like a TRY gun. Make the adjustments.

Mike
Posted By: bonny Re: stock problem - 06/18/17 10:17 PM
Thanks Mike, i will attempt it. If the repair looks woeful, it can be removed. Anyone have any recommendation as to what adhesive i should use ?
Posted By: Der Ami Re: stock problem - 06/18/17 10:42 PM
bonny,
Are you sure they were not made that way? Can you post photos?
Mike
Posted By: craigd Re: stock problem - 06/18/17 10:49 PM
I think I would try to shim it out first, assuming that's what it needs, to make sure things work correctly before deciding what to do about the appearance.
Posted By: bonny Re: stock problem - 06/19/17 01:25 AM
When i assemble the sidelocks to the action body off the stock, the gap between the locks at the back is 36mm. The stock width at the same point is 33mm. It does not sound like much, but its a fair bit and seems to be worse on one side than the other.

Seeing as the tumblers are supported by the inside face of the sidelocks, i do not see how they could operate, or operate well with the lockplates curved or bent.

Its just the usual case of a previous owner getting busy and doing more harm than good.
Posted By: Norm Re: stock problem - 06/19/17 03:00 AM
There was an L.C. Smith Specialty grade for sale on an auction site a year or so ago that had veneer added at the stock cheeks. It had been repaired invisibly by Classic Gunstocks. Perhaps those fellows can help you out with advice.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: stock problem - 06/19/17 05:22 PM
You can add wood and reinlet it to normal fit. Then when money is available use that stock as a pattern. Other option is try to raise locks with glad bedding. I suspect you gun was hacked in multiple places and reinserting is you best choice of action.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com