doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: OldMaineWoodsman Wood Finish Question... - 03/03/16 01:55 PM
I recently acquired a Browning Citori Sporter, with a serial number that places its manufacture at 1979. It appears little used, with the packing grease still found within the frame and bottom of the barrels. My question is the wood. The wood is original to the gun. However, it holds a very light colored, plain grain, satin finish. I do not think it has been re-done, due to the sharpness of the checkering. I thought that maybe the previous owner took down the top coat, removing the "gym floor" type finish, but again, it would seem that would impact the checkering.

Anyway, what I can I use other than linseed oil to maybe darken the wood? It is not blonde, but a light brown. Thank you in advance.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Wood Finish Question... - 03/03/16 05:33 PM
Woodsman,

I've had good success using Pilkington's spirit base stains for darkening & adding a little color to finished stocks that are too light for my taste. The stain will penetrate most finishes I've tried it on with the exception of some urethane modified oil finishes. I usually mix the Pre 64 & English Red stains together to get the correct color. A little experimentation normally required & the stain can be mostly removed with the special thinner they sell w/ the stain if you don't like the results.

It will soften some finishes on initial application but the finish will reharden after it dries. I wipe it on with a piece of cotton flannel.

Pilkington stains are available from Midway & Brownells.
Posted By: Jfeldman Re: Wood Finish Question... - 03/04/16 05:14 AM
I hesitate to add to this as I don't have a whole lot of experience, but I had good success darkening a forearm by using a tip I found in James V. Howe's book. It involves fuming the wood with ammonia. I stood the forearm up next to a saucer full of household ammonia and turned a plastic trash can upside down over it and left it overnight. Next morning it was quite a bit darker and the finish was not harmed. I was happy!

Regards, Joe
Posted By: damascus Re: Wood Finish Question... - 03/04/16 11:28 AM
Woodsman you have come to a sort of fork in the road! Do you want to darken the finish that is already on the stock or do you want to darken the wood? To darken the finish that is already on the wood the application of a coloured Lacquer or Varnish will work though to be honest not a thing I would do because it always looks as if it is lacking something. Applying Linseed oil to wood that is already finished with an unknown would not normally darken or change the looks of the wood Linseed oil is only comfortable being applied on top its self or direct to wood, otherwise it can be prone to blistering or wrinkling if applied over other finishes.
Stripping the stocks original finish down to the wood and applying coloured wood stain and a gunstock final finish of your choice would bring with it a far finer final finish to the guns stock.

Posted By: xs hedspace Re: Wood Finish Question... - 04/11/16 03:50 PM
I always liked the Pilkingtons Pre 64 stain. Expensive, but it will penetrate existing finishes more than the alcohol based stains. Some will rub off, unless you cover it with a thin coat of something like tung oil. Wait 48 hours before using the tung oil.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Wood Finish Question... - 04/13/16 11:43 AM
If your citori has a urethane finish, which insuspect it would, i do not think you have many reasonable options for darkening it as it is.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Wood Finish Question... - 04/15/16 08:18 PM
Occasionally I see a Citori that is light colored. Usually A plain sawn blank as well.

Their factory finish is so tough, in this case I wouldn't recommend an alcohol based toner. It either wouldn't stick, or the build up would be so heavy as to make the stock look dipped, and over finished.

For hunting guns, that diamond hard finish, while glossy, is a godsend. I don't know what you could do to wear it off!
I easily have 1000 days in the brush with a 1980's Citori Superlight. Checkering is still rough on my hands.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com