doublegunshop.com - home
OK. Here's the story as it appeared in a court case. A man has a small child. His next door neighbors have a dog the continues to go over in the man's yard and creates trouble. He tells them about their dog. They ignore him. They get two more dogs. One of them is an agressive Rotweiller that continues to go over in the man's yard and gets aggressive with him and his small son. He calls the dog warden. The warden knocks on their door, but even though they are home, they refuse to answer the door. The warden leaves a note in the door about the complaint, and they refuse to get back to the warden with a phone call. The man also informs the people that if their dogs continue to come into his yard and continues to be aggressive with him and his son, that he is going to shoot them. A few days later, one of the dogs, which is not aggressive, goes into his yard with a piece of garbage and lays down to eat it. He thinks it is the Rotweiller, so he goes out in his yard and shoots the dog with a 20 gauge shotgun with #3 shot and kills the dog. They sue him in court, where he admits to shooting the dog and after hearing the story, the judge throws the case out of court because they were negligent. What do you think? Would you have shot the dog?
nope....id of shot the owner...
Quite
Mike
gunut, you beat me to it by 13 minutes.
Where did he get the #3 shot? I'd like to have a bag. Where I live, there is not only no #3 shot, getting an animal warden to interview a person who calls in a complaint is like pulling teeth.
All the above.
The system
I would have gladly shot the dog and the owners. But then, I could do the same with much less provocation.
First I think the owner should have been taken to the vet and fixed so they could not pass on their defective genes to any other children. Than if their behavior does not improve shoot them.

On a serious note if that dog had been growling at my kid he would have been in the same place the vet sent his nuts. A dog who bites me or one of my kids can count on one paw how long it will take me to retrieve a firearm to end his life. The second barrel will be reserved for the owner if he wishes to stay in company of his pet that he never bothered to train in the first place. Bad behavior shall not be tolerated in dogs or men.
I'm just glad the judge had some common sense and chose to use it.

Oh, the aggressive dog would have been shot when he growled at my kid in my yard.
There ain't many #3 shot in a 20 gauge load, that's not the charge I would have picked for a dog.
Originally Posted By: gunut
nope....id of shot the owner...

That's right, as he was fleeing his burning house.

Skip
The man testified in court that he used a 20 gauge shotgun with #3 shot to shoot the dog with.
The guy is a drop dead idiot. Is he at the convention this week??? Ha Ha
I have another story.

About five years ago I was vacuming my pool, standing on the deck of about 4'. I am baby sitting a Blue Heeler for a friend. Neighbors pit bull jumps over 5' fence. All I had was the 15 ft vacume pole with about 5 lbs of lead weight on end to hold down to bottom of pool. I swing pole over my head. The vacum hose came off and I hit the pit bull just behind his head with the vacume head. I did not figure it would do any good and everything happened real fast. To my surprise the pit stumbled forward and took a dump. He was dazed so I threw him back over the fence. It was seen across the street and the neighbor came out and said "I heard you hit my dog" Luckily I had calmed down by then and explained what happened. I could not afford to get into a altercation because of my job. That dog was afraid of me until they moved last year. I did acquire a short spear and thought that would be pretty sporting if he jumped again. Thankfully it was never tested. I live in a suberb and could not hide the noise.
I would never shoot another man's dog.....that's just evil. The exception is if the dog is attacking you or your loved ones. Shooting a person's dog is a good way to escalate the situation and get shot yourself. There are better ways and it's not the fault of the dog in any case.
Originally Posted By: Timothy S
The guy is a drop dead idiot. Is he at the convention this week??? Ha Ha

If he wasn't he should've been...
Farmers do it all the time!
When you hear that shot ring-out and that yip of a dyin' dog.
Just so you know, them boys don't mind puttin' a bead on ol' Sparky and sending him to the light.
I don't know what I would have done, and I won't pass judgement.

But ... just a point to ponder: if I did it in my back yard over here, even if the court ruled I was right in shooting the dog, it could have lead to my firearms license cancelled and a forsed sale of my guns.
Don't feel bad, Humpty, it can happen here too.
I don't
I've seen dogs pull down deer on ice for the sport of it. With rifle at hand, I've done nothing about it. I always say I will kill if I see it again. And I do---but I don't shoot. I can't bring myself to shoot a dog.
Same thought crossed my mind. I recall reading Nash B's "Are We Shooting 8 Gauge Guns" about the interview with the late legendary gunner Fred Kimble- something about "St. Louis Threes" being his shot size choice. I love dogs- but the first time that Rottweiler (or Pit Bull or Doberman) came into MY yard and got even semi-close to one of my grandkids would be his LAST visit-I hunt with one of our Co.'s Judges- and my attorney is an avid deer hunter with a CCW- I'll take my chances in Court in case some PITA "neighbor?" wants to bring a civil suit- Whoever said that "Good fences make good neighbors must have had it with unwanted dog poop in his yard-etc"" RWTF
I'
I'
I'd shoot the Damn mut.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com